The “Deutsche Gesellschaft
für Internationale Zusammenarbeit (GIZ) GmbH“
(German Development Cooperation)
“Promotion of Small and Medium Enterprises (PSME)”
Project No. 14.2182.5-001.00
Job Vacancy Announcement for the position of "Advisor for Business Innovation"
Starting date: 15th of August 2018
Duration of Contract: 18 months until February 2020
About the GIZ
The wide range of services offered by the Deutsche Gesellschaft für Internationale Zusammenarbeit (GIZ) GmbH are based on a wealth of regional and technical expertise and on tried and tested management know-how. We are a German federal enterprise and offer workable, sustainable and effective solutions in political, economic and social change processes.
Most of our work is commissioned by the German Federal Ministry for Economic Cooperation and Development (BMZ). However, GIZ also operates on behalf of other German ministries and public and private bodies in Germany and abroad. These include governments of other countries, the European Commission, the United Nations and the World Bank. We are equally committed to helping our clients in the private sector attain their goals.
The registered offices of GIZ are in Bonn and Eschborn. In 2016, our business volume amounted to around 2.4 billion euros. Around 70 per cent of our local workforce of 18,260 people is national personnel working in over 120 countries. In our capacity as a recognised sending organisation, we currently have 640 development workers in action in partner countries. In addition, CIM, a joint operation of GIZ and the Federal Employment Agency, placed almost 850 integrated and returning experts with local employers abroad in 2016 while providing them with financial support and advisory services.
About GIZ Egypt
Since 1956, GIZ has been present in Egypt implementing projects on behalf of the German government. We thus contribute to the economic and social stabilisation of the country. GIZ Egypt currently employs around 200 national and 50 international experts.
Our projects in cooperation with the Egyptian government focus on the areas of renewable energies and energy efficiency, sustainable economic development for employment, water supply and sanitation, irrigation and waste management, youth, women and families and urban development.
The GIZ Office Cairo supports the implementation of projects by providing logistic, financial, procurement and personnel services.
To examine Egypt’s projects’ portfolio, please visit us on http://www.giz.de/egypt
About the “Promotion of Small and Medium Enterprises (PSME)
The Egyptian-German Promotion of Small and Medium Enterprises (PSME) is a bilateral technical cooperation programme under the guidance of the Egyptian Ministry for Trade, Industry and Small and Medium Enterprises (MTISME) with Technical Assistance provided by the Deutsche Gesellschaft für Internationale Zusammenarbeit (GIZ) GmbH, on behalf of the German Federal Ministry for Economic Cooperation and Development (BMZ). It has been established in March 2015 with duration till February 2020 and is building on the results and experiences from a former similar project in this field.
The programme’s objective is to support Egyptian Micro, Small and Medium Enterprises (MSME) to grow and create new and higher quality employment through enhanced innovation capacities. It works on an institutional level, supporting public and private institutions - especially the MTISME and its affiliates but also incubators, accelerators and other business innovation centres - to create an enabling environment for innovation and entrepreneurship. The programme is being implemented in three activity fields: Innovation Policy Advisory, Business Innovation and Industrial Business Services and deploy a multi-level approach to develop the Egyptian economy.
The main objective of the Business Innovation activity area is to improve the Service of Business innovation institutions targeting growth-oriented start-ups and informal micro-small businesses in local manufacturing. Intervention areas include, but not limited to: support to incubation and acceleration services with special outreach to Delta and Upper Egypt governorates. Interventions also include support to various engagement modes for large corporates with start-ups/small and growing businesses in local manufacturing.
Salary band 4 –
Advisor for Business Innovation
The Advisor is responsible for tasks that foster the achievement of the overall output objective of Business Innovation (BI) Activity Field indicators related to the promotion of high-quality support to innovative and inclusive business models for start-ups and existing MSMEs in Egypt. These responsibilities include and are not limited to:
- Assisting on design and implementation of new intervention formats with partners for supporting business innovation among small and growing businesses in Egypt.
- Conduct needed primary and secondary research on available corporate engagement models relevant in manufacturing realm in Egypt.
- Identifies and reaches out to relevant private sector players in the market.
- Designing internal/external communications with corporates including building the business case for corporates to cooperate with PSME.
- Supports in designing relevant PSME corporate engagement modes.
- Advising and coordinating the implementation of activities related to the promotion and institutionalization of Business Linkages formats and projects between small and larger corporates in local industry.
- Advise on integrating corporate engagement across other BI/PSME activity packages.
- advising on project initiatives to provide professional advisory services to and to cooperate with a broad range of target groups
- Promoting innovation and knowledge management among the team members
The Advisor performs the following tasks:
1. Advising the partner institution(s)
- assists and monitors the development and implementation of project plans and activities in close consultation with the counterparts
- contributes to preparing and implementing the coordination process, joint project activities and work at the regional level including Delta and Upper Egypt
- reaches out to implementing partners
- deals with the design, preparation and implementation of workshops, seminars and other events on issues connected to the project’s area of activity
- develops and organises quality assurance measures and suggests necessary changes, improvements and initiatives
2. Networking and cooperation
- supports cooperation, regular contact and dialogue with partners, and cooperates with local communities, relevant organisations, non-governmental agencies and individuals in the project environment and with other projects to improve and maintain good working relationships
- communicates local interests and efforts, forwards these and encourages sharing ideas and information for the benefit of the project
3. Knowledge management
- assists with PR work
- ensures knowledge transfer of project information
- develops ready-to-use strategies and technical concepts, including guidelines, manuals and procedures
- draws up reports and presentation documents
- prepares appropriate input for various project reports including annual reports, and contributes to the other reports required by the project manager and GIZ Head Office
4. Coordination tasks
- assists with general project planning and develops project concepts including preparation, organisation and moderation of planning exercises and their implementation, management, monitoring, quality management, evaluation, communication and documentation
- coordinates relevant project activities at local level in consultation with the manager and in cooperation with the partners, both as regards implementation and preparing organisational aspects
- compiles the relevant information for joint activities and assignments
- handles order management on behalf of GIZ (e.g. offer preparation, impact monitoring, project progress review, reporting)
5. Other duties/additional tasks
- performs other duties and tasks at the request of management
C. Required qualifications, competences and experience:
- University degree (preferably M.A. /M.Sc. degree) in economics, social or political sciences, engineering, supply-chain management or other relevant discipline.
- Holding a post graduate degree in business (ex MBA) and/or project management is an asset.
- At least 6 years of professional experience in the field of MSMEs support, including experience at the international level involving technical cooperation in developing countries.
- Previous professional experience in/with large corporates preferably in local manufacturing supply chain management is a must.
Other knowledge, additional competences
- Business innovation and entrepreneurship knowledge and experience.
- Corporate-Start-up knowledge and experiences.
- Excellent communication skills and the ability to deal with various partners involving government, private sector and civil society organizations.
- Ability and flexibility to travel across the country including Delta region and Upper Egypt.
- Ability to work dynamic and complex working environments.
- Very good working knowledge of ICT technologies (related software, phone, fax, email, the internet) and computer applications (e.g. MS Office).
- Fluent written and oral knowledge of English, working knowledge of German is an asset.
- Willingness to up-skill as required by the tasks to be performed.
- Results orientation and accountability.
D. Application procedure: