The ,,Deutsche Gesellschaft für Internationale Zusammenarbeit (GIZ) GmbH“
German Development Cooperation
“Agriculture Innovation Project” (AIP)
Project No. 16.2250.5-001.00
Job Vacancy Announcement for the position of Advisor for Agricultural Value Chains
Starting date: 1st of April 2020
Duration of Contract: 12 months, subject to renewal, based on performance
The Deutsche Gesellschaft für Internationale Zusammenarbeit (GIZ) GmbH is a global service provider in the field of international cooperation for sustainable development and international education work, with 20,726 employees. GIZ has over 50 years of experience in a wide variety of areas, including economic development and employment, energy and the environment, and peace and security.
Our business volume is around 3 billion euros. As a public-benefit federal enterprise, GIZ supports the German Government – in particular, the Federal Ministry for Economic Cooperation and Development (BMZ) – and many public and private sector clients in around 120 countries in achieving their objectives in international cooperation. With this aim, GIZ works together with its partners to develop effective solutions that offer people better prospects and sustainably improve their living conditions.
About GIZ Egypt
Operating in Egypt since 1956, GIZ provides technical expertise, develops capacities and delivers effective solutions in close partnership with local governmental and non-governmental organisations.
GIZ Egypt currently employs around 310 national and 47 international experts. GIZ supports Egypt in its efforts to achieve the “Sustainable Development Strategy: Egypt Vision 2030” in order to create better social and economic prospects for the Egyptian people. On behalf of the German Government, the European Union and other parties, GIZ implements projects in all parts of Egypt in the areas of Renewable Energy and Energy Efficiency; Water Supply and Sanitation, Irrigation and Waste Management; Sustainable Economic Development for Employment; Governance and Urban Development. For more information, please visit http://www.giz.de/egypt
About the "Agriculture Innovation Project (AIP)"
The Federal Ministry for Economic Cooperation and Development (BMZ) makes a significant contribution to reducing world poverty and hunger with agricultural projects. Their work focuses on modernizing and professionalizing agriculture and the food industry. The Agricultural Innovation Project (AIP) contributes to increasing agricultural value through agricultural innovations.
The module objective of the project is: The income of small-scale farms in Upper Egypt has increased thanks to the application of agricultural innovations. The approach used here is value-chain promotion, whereby we consistently think from the perspective of the market. The project supports farmers’ organizations with technological innovations, strengthening their marketing capabilities and diversifying distribution channels. The focus is on national markets, and an additional aim is to tap export market potential. Sweet potatoes, medicinal and aromatic plants (MAP) and green beans have been identified as prospective value chains. A central role in the project is played by interaction between information and communication technology (ICT)-supported instruments and face-to-face formats, e.g. contractually agreed support services provided by the recipient (processing, trade and export) as part of corporate partnerships and contract farming.
Other than the above-mentioned project, this job scope includes but is not exclusive to working closely with "develoPPP " team in GIZ headquarters on local project implementation. The program enters into Development Partnership Projects (DPP) with partners from the private sector with the objective of supporting training and employment More information about DPPs is available on the website http://www.developpp.de
Salary band 4 –
Advisor for Agricultural Value Chains
Head of Project
The Advisor is responsible for
- agricultural value chain selection, analysis and development in support of the project objectives and in close cooperation with the partner and other stakeholders
- providing input to project working areas on farmer organisations strengthening, sustainable production, market linkages and policy, based on identified value chain opportunities and challenges, and in close cooperation with the technical project team and partners
- assisting project initiatives in providing professional advisory services to and in cooperating with a broad range of target groups
- the monitoring and evaluation at the project level
- knowledge management and communication
The Advisor performs the following tasks:
1. Professional advisory services
- contributes to preparing and implementing the project plans, joint project activities and work at the national and regional levels
- undertakes on-going market assessments and selection of value chains, through a participatory process based on criteria agreed upon with the project team and partners
- undertakes detailed value chain analyses of the selected value chains, identifies key constraints and opportunities
- monitors the development and implementation of project plans and activities, with regards to opportunities and challenges identified in the selected value chains, and in close consultation with the project team and counterparts
- designs work packages to address key constraints in the value chains, together with the project team and key partners/stakeholders, and aligns them to the project structure and outputs
- deals with the design, preparation and implementation of workshops, seminars and other events on issues connected with the project’s area of activity
- develops and organises quality assurance measures and suggests necessary changes, improvements and initiatives
2. Networking and cooperation
- supports cooperation, regular contact and dialogue with partners
- assists with PR work and cooperates with local communities, relevant organisations, non-governmental agencies and individuals in the project environment and with other projects to improve and maintain good working relationships
- communicates local interests and efforts, forwards these and encourages sharing ideas and information for the benefit of the project
3. Knowledge management
- is responsible for the overall knowledge management of the project, and works closely together with the project team to produce and share project information and knowledge materials
- is responsible for communication and public relations of the project, in close coordination with the project team and the Head of Project
- develops ready-to-use strategies and technical concepts, including guidelines, manuals and procedures
- draws up reports and presentation documents
- prepares appropriate input for various project reports including annual reports, and contributes to the other reports required by the Head of Project and GIZ Head Office
- assists with research activities and studies on political issues which benefit joint projects/programmes
4. Management support and coordination tasks
- develops project concepts and assists with general project planning, including preparation, organisation and moderation of planning exercises and their implementation, management, monitoring, quality management, evaluation, communication and documentation
- coordinates relevant project activities at the local level in consultation with the Head of Project and in cooperation with the partners, regarding implementation and preparation of organisational aspects
- compiles the relevant information for joint activities and assignments
- supports the Head of Project in project management, including monitoring and evaluation, impact monitoring, knowledge management, PR and communication, and project progress review and reporting
5. Other duties/additional tasks
- performs other duties and tasks at the request of the management
C. Required qualifications, competences and experience
- masters/MSc in agronomy, economics, social and political science, and/or business administration
- qualification and/or a training certificate in value chain development is desirable
- training certificate in project management and/or monitoring and evaluation (M&E) is an additional asset
- at least 5 years’ professional experience in the agricultural sector;
- solid knowledge in value chains selection, analysis and development;
- at least 3 years’ experience in working with development partners and in technical cooperation.
Other knowledge, additional competences
- excellent communication skills;
- the ability to deal with various partners involving government, private sector and civil society organizations;
- excellent team working and cooperation skills;
- ability and flexibility to travel across the country, especially to Upper Egypt;
- ability to deal with the needs, conditions and problems of local communities in Egypt;
- ability to work in dynamic and complex working environments;
- result-oriented working approach;
- very good working knowledge of ICT technologies and computer applications (e.g. MS Office);
- fluent in written and spoken English and Arabic, knowledge of German is an additional asset;
- willingness to upskill as required by the tasks to be performed – corresponding measures are agreed with management.
D. Application procedure
- Kindly send your applications in English by e-mail to HR-Egypt@giz.de by latest Tuesday, the 17th of March 2020.
- Only e-mail applications mentioning the subject title “Advisor - Agricultural Value Chains – AIP – your name” will be considered.
- The following documents are to be included in the application:
- Motivation letter
- Updated CV with photo and date of birth
- The position can be filled as soon as possible, preferably by 1st of April 2020.
- The work location will be in Dokki or El-Zamalek, Cairo (still to be identified).
- The position is for candidates with Egyptian nationality and holders of Egyptian work permits only.