The ,,Deutsche Gesellschaft für Internationale Zusammenarbeit (GIZ) GmbH“
German Development Cooperation
Agriculture Innovation Project (AIP)
Project No. 16.2250.5-001.00
Job Vacancy Announcement for the position of Advisor for Agri-digital Solutions
Starting date: 20th of July 2020
Duration of Contract: 12 months, subject to renewal based on performance
The Deutsche Gesellschaft für Internationale Zusammenarbeit (GIZ) GmbH is a global service provider in the field of international cooperation for sustainable development and international education work, with 20,726 employees. GIZ has over 50 years of experience in a wide variety of areas, including economic development and employment, energy and the environment, and peace and security.
Our business volume is around 3 billion euros. As a public-benefit federal enterprise, GIZ supports the German Government – in particular the Federal Ministry for Economic Cooperation and Development (BMZ) – and many public and private sector clients in around 120 countries in achieving their objectives in international cooperation. With this aim, GIZ works together with its partners to develop effective solutions that offer people better prospects and sustainably improve their living conditions.
About GIZ Egypt
Operating in Egypt since 1956, GIZ provides technical expertise, develops capacities and delivers effective solutions in close partnership with local governmental and non-governmental organisations.
GIZ Egypt currently employs around 310 national and 47 international experts. GIZ supports Egypt in its efforts to achieve the “Sustainable Development Strategy: Egypt Vision 2030” in order to create better social and economic prospects for the Egyptian people. On behalf of the German Government, the European Union and other parties, GIZ implements projects in all parts of Egypt in the areas of Renewable Energy and Energy Efficiency; Water Supply and Sanitation, Irrigation and Waste Management; Sustainable Economic Development for Employment; Governance and Urban Development. For more information, please visit http://www.giz.de/egypt
About the "Agriculture Innovation Project (AIP)"
The Federal Ministry for Economic Cooperation and Development (BMZ) makes a significant contribution to reducing world poverty and hunger with agricultural projects. Their work focuses on modernizing and professionalizing agriculture and the food industry. The Agricultural Innovation Project (AIP) contributes to increasing agricultural value through agricultural innovations.
The module objective of the project is: The income of small-scale farms in Upper Egypt has increased thanks to the application of agricultural innovations. The approach used here is value-chain promotion, whereby we consistently think from the perspective of the market. The project supports farmers’ organizations with technological innovations, strengthening their marketing capabilities and diversifying distribution channels. The focus is on national markets, and an additional aim is to tap export market potential. Sweet potatoes, medicinal and aromatic plants (MAP) and green beans have been identified as prospective value chains. A central role in the project is played by interaction between information and communication technology (ICT)-supported instruments and face-to-face formats, e.g. contractually agreed support services provided by the recipient (processing, trade and export) as part of corporate partnerships and contract farming.
Salary band 4 –
Advisor for Agri-digital Solutions
Head of Project
The Advisor is responsible for
- acting as key focal person in the team for all digital topics and solutions, including capacity building and knowledge platforms and dissemination
- designing digital solutions adapted to small holder farmers for improved productivity and marketing
- liaising with the partner organisations and other relevant stakeholders to improve service delivery and outreach through digital solutions
- capacity building of farmer organisations, farmers and partner institutions on digital solutions and digital literacy
- close cooperation with all team members and project interventions, providing technical support and digital solutions to project activities as well as project management
The Advisor for Agri-digital Solutions performs the following tasks:
1. Professional advisory services
- assesses, identifies and adapts digital solutions, based on needs and effective cost benefit suited to small holder farmers, and / or scale existing solutions
- contributes to preparing and implementing the coordination process, joint project activities and work at the national and regional level on digital solutions across all project interventions in close cooperation with the partners
- monitors the development and implementation of project plans and activities in close consultation with project team and counterparts
- develops digital solutions for partners and other stakeholders for improved service delivery and outreach, including digital technical networks, extension services and knowledge platforms
- manages support of data protection and privacy management
- deals with the design, preparation and implementation of capacity building methodologies, for farmers, agribusiness, associations, and other stakeholders in promoting digital literacy, use and adoption
- leads the identification, pilot testing and adoption of gender-sensitive digital practices and technologies, for the improved production, processing, and marketing of products of selected value chains in the horticultural, medicinal and aromatic plants sectors
- develops suitable financial and business models for the operation and sustainability of digital solutions
- develops and organises quality assurance measures and suggests necessary changes, improvements, and initiatives
2. Networking and cooperation
- takes an active role in the cooperation and establishment of regular contact and dialogue with partners, assists with PR work and cooperates with local communities, relevant organisations, non-governmental agencies, and individuals in the project environment
- maintains close contact with other projects to improve and maintain good working relationships
- promotes regular coordination and networking with the national, regional and local authorities and institutions, apex farmer organizations, international and national research centres, private sector, financial service providers and other partner organizations involved with the project
3. Knowledge management
- contributes to and maintains knowledge platforms for the sharing and dissemination of innovative practices
- promotes regular exchange and learning events with all the project’s stakeholders on the national, local and regional levels
- follows up on strategy frameworks, political agendas, as well as regional and national developments in the field of ICT, e.g. Principles for Digital Development
4. Management support and coordination tasks
- assists with general project planning and develops project concepts including preparation, organisation and moderation of planning exercises and their implementation, management, monitoring, quality management, evaluation, communication and documentation, with particular reference to digital solutions
- assists AIP project users in the deployment and use of existing and new digital GIZ systems, e.g. Integrated Digital Applications (IDA), MS Teams, etc.
- coordinates relevant project activities at the local level, in consultation with the Head of Project and in cooperation with the partners, both with regards to implementation and preparation of organisational aspects
- designs and supports in the implementation of digital solutions for the project, including planning and monitoring and evaluation
5. Other duties/additional tasks
- performs other duties and tasks at the request of the Head of Project
C. Required qualifications, competences and experience
- masters/MSc in Information Science, Business Administration, Management or a similar subject
- minimum of 5 years of professional experience in the area of ICT, preferably in the practical application of digital technologies and approaches in development cooperation
Other knowledge, additional competences
- High affinity for digital change, as well as familiarity with the management of complex organisational and administrative procedures and processes; profound technical skills with established and new digital applications is an advantage
- High levels of digital literacy, capacity building, education, communication and change management and innovation skills are desirable
- Strong sense for cooperation and team spirit, intercultural sensitivity, as well as a high degree of self-organisation
- Ability to understand the needs, conditions and problems of local communities in Upper Egypt
- Fluent in written and spoken English and Arabic; good German skills are a strong asset
- Willingness to upskill as required by the tasks to be performed – corresponding measures are agreed with management
D. Application procedure
- Kindly send your applications in English by e-mail to HR-Egypt@giz.de by latest Sunday, the 28th of June 2020.
- Only e-mail applications mentioning the subject title “Advisor – Agri-digital Solutions – AIP – your name” will be considered.
- The following documents are to be included in the application:
- Motivation letter
- Updated CV with photo and date of birth.
- The position can be filled as soon as possible, preferably by the 20th of July 2020.
- The work location will be El-Zamalek, Cairo (still to be identified) with frequent travel to Upper Egypt.
- The position is for candidates with Egyptian Nationality or a valid residence permit only.