The „Deutsche Gesellschaft für Internationale Zusammenarbeit (GIZ) GmbH“
(German Development Cooperation)
Sustainable Economic Development for Employment Sector
Job Vacancy Announcement for the position of “Communication and PR Professional in the Employment Sector”
Starting date: 20th of January, 2019
Duration of contract: 12 months, subject to renewal based on performance
About the GIZ
The wide range of services offered by the Deutsche Gesellschaft für Internationale Zusammenarbeit (GIZ) GmbH are based on a wealth of regional and technical expertise and on tried and tested management know-how. We are a German federal enterprise and offer workable, sustainable and effective solutions in political, economic and social change processes.
Most of our work is commissioned by the German Federal Ministry for Economic Cooperation and Development (BMZ). However, GIZ also operates on behalf of other German ministries and public and private bodies in Germany and abroad. These include governments of other countries, the European Commission, the United Nations and the World Bank. We are equally committed to helping our clients in the private sector attain their goals.
The registered offices of GIZ are in Bonn and Eschborn. In 2017, we generated a business volume of around 2.6 billion euros. Our 19,506 employees, almost 70 per cent of whom are national personnel, work in around 120 countries. As a recognised development service provider, we currently have 590 development workers in action in partner countries. Furthermore, in 2017, the Centre for International Migration and Development (CIM), which is run jointly by GIZ and the Federal Employment Agency, placed 385 integrated experts and 484 returning experts with local employers in our partner countries, or provided them with financial support, advice or other services.
About GIZ Egypt
Since 1956, GIZ has been present in Egypt implementing projects on behalf of the German government. We thus contribute to the economic and social stabilisation of the country. GIZ Egypt currently employs around 200 national and 50 international experts.
Our projects in cooperation with the Egyptian government focus on the areas of renewable energies and energy efficiency, sustainable economic development for employment, water supply and sanitation, irrigation and waste management, youth, women and families and urban development.
The GIZ Office Cairo supports the implementation of projects by providing logistic, financial, procurement and personnel services.
To examine Egypt’s projects’ portfolio, please visit us on http://www.giz.de/egypt.
About the Sustainable Economic Development for Employment Sector
The sector “Sustainable Economic Development for Employment” of GIZ Egypt includes several projects that work towards enhancing the individual and institutional capacities for employment-intensive growth in Egypt.
The GIZ thereby adopts an integrated approach to promote employment by combining measures on the labour supply side (promotion of technical and vocational education and training) with the labour demand side (private sector development and access to financial services for small and medium-sized enterprises) as well as labour market intermediation (matching, placement, and labour market information). It thereby aims at creating employment by reducing constraints in labour supply, labour demand and job placement. In all these domains, a special emphasis lies on the economic integration of women.
Egyptian institutions are supported in the development and implementation of employment policies and strategies. The development of institutional and individual capacities of Egyptian institutions, both from the public and private sector, is a core element to reach the overall objective.
Salary band 4 –
The Communication and PR Professional is responsible for
- implementing GIZ Egypt’s strategy on communication and PR
- systematically planning and managing communication activities of employment projects, especially towards the political partners
- the comprehensive planning and management of employment sector communication activities, including technical workshops, thematic events and meetings etc.
- cooperating and consulting with other donors and implementing organisations in the employment sector in terms of any joint communications, outreach and public activities (e.g. German Embassy, other development partners and agencies)
- assuring the quality of any communication materials on behalf of the projects (e.g. publications, press conferences, articles on the intranet etc.)
- ensuring coherence of branding and communication throughout all projects and components of the employment sector, in accordance with GIZ corporate design
- representing the employment sector in the GIZ communication working group and any other related networks
The Communication and PR Professional in the Employment Sector performs the following tasks:
1. External communication
The Communication and PR Professional
- organises public outreach events
- supports the teams in the frame of foreign delegation visits
- provides editorial support, coordinates and advises on the online presentation of the employment sector and the projects
- manages the production of publications and materials in accordance with GIZ standards (corporate design, standards for content)
- (further) develops suitable communication instruments for PR (e.g. brochures, fact sheets, advertising material, PowerPoint presentations based on the corporate presentation, newsletters, information sheets for the country portfolio)
- monitors media and national press on current developments in the fields of sustainable economic development and employment
2. Internal communication in the employment sector
The Communication and PR Professional
- develops appropriate communication instruments (e.g. emails, internal newsletters) in the coordination with the teams
- consults with the Corporate Communications Unit on articles for the GIZ staff newsletter ‘intern’, GIZ News on the intranet and provides editorial input on practical examples and other texts for GIZ media
3. Other duties/additional tasks
The Communication and PR Professional
- performs other duties and tasks at the request of management
C. Required qualifications, competences and experience
- University degree preferably in communication, marketing, psychology, development studies with a focus on communication, or similar.
- At least 5 years’ professional experience in the field of communication (media and PR work, journalism, internal communication, lobbying or similar).
Other knowledge, additional competences
- Ability to express oneself professionally both verbally and in writing; polished, target-group oriented style.
- Experience in process and/or event management.
- Editorial experience, experience in writing articles and press releases.
- Proven very good working knowledge of ICT (related software, email, the internet) and computer applications.
- Very good knowledge of Arabic and English; working knowledge of German is an asset.
- Willingness to upskill as required by the tasks to be performed – corresponding measures are agreed with management.
- Availability for business travel inside Egypt as well as internationally.
D. Application procedure
- Kindly send your applications in English by e-mail to HR-Egypt@giz.de by maximum Monday, the 17th of December 2018.
- The application must include a motivation letter and an updated CV in English language.
- Only applications mentioning the subject title “Communication and PR Prof. in the Employment Sector - your name” will be considered.
- The position can be filled as soon as possible, preferably by the 20th of January 2019.
- The work location will be in Downtown Cairo and around 10% working time may require travelling to other governorates in Egypt and abroad.
- The position is for candidates with Egyptian Nationality and holders of Egyptian work permits only.