The „Deutsche Gesellschaft für Internationale Zusammenarbeit (GIZ) GmbH“
German Development Cooperation
“Enhancement of the Egyptian Dual System” (EEDS)
Project No. 15.2156.6-001.00
Job Vacancy Announcement for the position of “Junior Advisor”
Starting date: 15th of October, 2019
Duration of contract: 8 months (subject to renewal based on project’s extension)
The Deutsche Gesellschaft für Internationale Zusammenarbeit (GIZ) GmbH is a global service provider in the field of international cooperation for sustainable development and international education work, with 20,726 employees. GIZ has over 50 years of experience in a wide variety of areas, including economic development and employment, energy and the environment, and peace and security.
Our business volume is around 3 billion euros. As a public-benefit federal enterprise, GIZ supports the German Government – in particular the Federal Ministry for Economic Cooperation and Development (BMZ) – and many public and private sector clients in around 120 countries in achieving their objectives in international cooperation. With this aim, GIZ works together with its partners to develop effective solutions that offer people better prospects and sustainably improve their living conditions.
About GIZ Egypt
Operating in Egypt since 1956, GIZ provides technical expertise, develops capacities and delivers effective solutions in close partnership with local governmental and non-governmental organisations.
GIZ Egypt currently employs around 310 national and 47 international experts. GIZ supports Egypt in its efforts to achieve the “Sustainable Development Strategy: Egypt Vision 2030” in order to create better social and economic prospects for the Egyptian people. On behalf of the German Government, the European Union and other parties, GIZ implements projects in all parts of Egypt in the areas of Renewable Energy and Energy Efficiency; Water Supply and Sanitation, Irrigation and Waste Management; Sustainable Economic Development for Employment; Governance and Urban Development.
For more information, please visit http://www.giz.de/egypt.
About the "Enhancement of the Egyptian Dual System" (EEDS)
The GIZ's project "Enhancement of the Egyptian Dual System" has the objective to increase the capacities in the Dual System while enhancing the quality of the teaching/training process. The project builds on the experiences and successes of MKI-DS (1994-2007) and EPP I (2011-2015). The foreseen term of the programme is 4 years and 7 months (from December 2015 to June 2020). EEDS operates in Cairo, Giza, Aswan, Menoufia, Sharqia, Alexandria, Assuit, Fayoum, and Beni Suef.
EEDS aims at improving the Egyptian Dual System, through engaging in four fields of activities: In field of activity 1, “Shaping the Egyptian Dual System”, the project advises the Ministry for Education (MoE) especially the Technical Education Sector as well as representatives of the private sector on the governance structures and regulatory framework of the Dual System in Egypt. Field of Activity 2, “Increasing the quality and quantity of the Egyptian Dual System” focuses on enhancing the quality of the learning process in the Dual System as well as the growth of the system. Field of Activity 3, “Further training of vocational training staff”, will focus on the development of competences of training staff in the public and the private sector. Field of Activity 4, "Inter-company training" aims to test inter-company training as a systemic element within the Egyptian Dual System.
Salary band 3 – Junior professional 3T
Junior Advisor (In close collaboration with MoETE)
Head of Project EEDS
The Junior Advisor is responsible for:
- ensuring the close cooperation between EEDS Project and MoETE,
- shadowing MoETE staff of the technical office of the deputy minister to support the activities of the technical office,
- supporting the implementation of activities within the framework of the technical education reform, with a focus on the implementation of activities to improve the quality of technical education,
- supporting the implementation of a quality management processes in technical education schools,
- carrying out the logistical organization of trainings, workshops, and meetings,
- documenting the results of workshops, trainings and meetings,
- carrying out research required for planning and implementing activities,
- assisting in developing and designing communication and public relations material, within the framework of the technical education reform,
- supporting in carrying out and following up on activities.
The Junior Advisor performs the following tasks:
1. Professional services
The Junior Advisor
- supports the planning and implementation of activities within the framework of the technical education reform, with emphasis on activities that improve the quality of technical education,
- supports the review of documents developed by the technical office of the MoETE within the framework of the technical education reform,
- supports the coordination of the technical office with other units within the MoETE, with a focus on the quality improvement units on the central level,
- provides technical assistance to MoETE staff of the technical office of the deputy minister,
- documents and following up on activities conducted by the technical office of the MoETE,
- assists in reviewing training material for capacitating ministry’s staff,
- supports with conducting trainings and coaching sessions for ministry’s staff,
- supports and assists in the preparation and translation of material (PPTs and other) for workshops,
- organizes trainings, workshops and meetings with partners and target groups,
- organizes visits to directorates and schools,
- documents and follows up on the results of all workshops, meetings and other activities.
2. Research and knowledge management
The Junior Advisor
- carries out research required for the planning, conceptualization and implementation of component activities that support the ministry in implementing the technical education reform,
- supports in outlining and visualizing work processes for activities in the framework of the technical education reform,
- assists in developing and designing communication and PR material for major activities,
- translates documents from English to Arabic and vice versa, as needed,
- organizes and updating component documentation.
3. Other duties/additional tasks
The Junior Advisor
- performs other duties and tasks as requested by managers.
C. Required qualifications, competences and experience
- University degree in economics, political science, development studies, business, sociology, or similar.
- Initial experience (internship or similar) in this field of activity.
- Prior experience in development cooperation is an asset.
- Prior experience in working with public organizations in Egypt is an asset.
Other knowledge, additional competences
- Good knowledge about the Egyptian labour market, TVET and the employment context.
- Knowledge about quality management and quality monitoring systems.
- Very good working knowledge of ICT technologies and computer applications (e.g. MS Office)
- Excellent command of English and Arabic (written and spoken), German is an asset.
- Strong analytical skills.
- Excellent communication skills.
- Willingness to travel to different governorates when necessary.
D. Submission of application
- Interested candidates shall submit their application in English by e-mail to HR-Egypt@giz.de by maximum Monday, the 23rd of September 2019.
- The application should include a motivation letter and an updated CV indicating the earliest date of availability and contact details (at least mobile/phone number and e-mail address).
- Only e-mail applications mentioning the subject title “Junior Advisor - EEDS - your name” will be considered.
- The position can be filled by the 15th of October 2019.
- The position is initially for 8 months and the contract is extendable, based on the project’s extension.
- The work location will be in Downtown Cairo, with frequent meetings in other locations in Egypt, mainly across Greater Cairo.
- The position is for candidates with Egyptian Nationality or a valid residence permit only.