The „Deutsche Gesellschaft für Internationale Zusammenarbeit (GIZ) GmbH“
(German Development Cooperation)
“Strategic Alliance between GIZ and Orange”
“Orange Digital Center” (GIZ-ODC) project
Project No. 19.0210.5-105.01
Job Vacancy Announcement for the position of "Training and Network Coordinator"
Starting date: 15th of June 2020
Duration of contract: 12 months, subject to renewal based on performance
About the GIZ
The Deutsche Gesellschaft für Internationale Zusammenarbeit (GIZ) GmbH is a global service provider in the field of international cooperation for sustainable development and international education work, with 20,726 employees. GIZ has over 50 years of experience in a wide variety of areas, including economic development and employment, energy and the environment, and peace and security.
Our business volume is around 3 billion euros. As a public-benefit federal enterprise, GIZ supports the German Government – in particular the Federal Ministry for Economic Cooperation and Development (BMZ) – and many public and private sector clients in around 120 countries in achieving their objectives in international cooperation. With this aim, GIZ works together with its partners to develop effective solutions that offer people better prospects and sustainably improve their living conditions.
About GIZ Egypt
Operating in Egypt since 1956, GIZ provides technical expertise, develops capacities and delivers effective solutions in close partnership with local governmental and non-governmental organisations.
GIZ Egypt currently employs around 310 national and 47 international experts. GIZ supports Egypt in its efforts to achieve the “Sustainable Development Strategy: Egypt Vision 2030” in order to create better social and economic prospects for the Egyptian people. On behalf of the German Government, the European Union and other parties, GIZ implements projects in all parts of Egypt in the areas of Renewable Energy and Energy Efficiency; Water Supply and Sanitation, Irrigation and Waste Management; Sustainable Economic Development for Employment; Governance and Urban Development.
For more information, please visit http://www.giz.de/egypt.
Introduction to the “GIZ- Orange Digital Centre”
Youth unemployment is a global challenge. According to the World Bank, the global youth unemployment rate was around 13.4% in 2017. The majority of African countries have to struggle with significantly higher rates (e.g. Egypt 36.3%; Ivory Coast 25%). In large parts of Africa, even young adults with higher education are often unemployed. The lack of "employment-related skills" - the knowledge and skills that the economy is looking for today (e.g. "digital skills") - is increasingly becoming a problem. The prevalence of skills shortages is an obstacle to the development of local enterprises, foreign Investment and thus hampers the development of our partner countries. Training young people in job-related digital skills plays a key role in developing and strengthening labor markets in the 14 countries of the project, including Egypt. Effective training in digital literacy is thus beneficial not only for the local ICT sector but also for all private sectors in need of digitization (e.g. agriculture, food Processing, automotive, electronics, healthcare, textile industry). The attractiveness of the countries as business locations will be sustainably improved with a more digitally trained youth pool.
As one of the most important socio-economic actors in Africa and the Middle East, Orange has a clear medium and long-term interest in building innovative digital ecosystems in countries where it has a presence. Supporting local economic development, particularly by creating opportunities for young people, is important to create a stable and sustainable business environment. The Orange Digital Center project builds on an ambitious Programme to support entrepreneurship.
Under the umbrella of the Orange Digital Center, training, coaching, mentoring and professional change training sessions are offered. It aims to improve the skills of young graduates, focus the education of students more on tomorrow's jobs and promote entrepreneurial skills.
The Orange Digital Centers (ODC) consist of 1. Software School (Coding School), 2. workshop for digital hardware (FabLab Solidaire) and 3. a start-up accelerator (Orange Fab).
This project represents a strategic alliance between GIZ and Orange Middle East and North Africa, within the overall framework of “Development Partnership with the Private Sector DPP”.
Salary band 4 –
Training and Network Coordinator
DV Senior Implementation Officer GIZ-ODC (Head of Business Innovation Component – PSME)
Under the Supervision of the Senior Implementation Officer, the Training and Network Coordinator is responsible for activities in the Strategic Alliance with Orange on Digital Training in Egypt. He/she is responsible for tasks that foster the achievement of the overall objectives of the Project (Orange Digital Centre) and to ensure a smooth coordination among the stakeholders of the project.
These responsibilities and tasks include and are not limited to:
- supporting the implementation of the GIZ contribution to the Strategic Alliance (StA) with Orange Egypt.
- consulting and supporting the establishment of the Orange Digital Centre (ODC).
- procures the furnishing and the IT set up of the ODC as prescribed by the project document and as per GIZ rules and regulations and in close cooperation with Orange Egypt.
- establishing of further cooperation with other relevant national actors (e.g. training providers) / partners from the business world
- monitoring the day-to-day business, including maintaining the M&E system for the StA (in particular the GIZ contribution)
- supporting strategic project communication and marketing of the training offer of the ODC
- reporting to GIZ Senior Implementation Officer
The Training and Network Coordinator performs the following tasks:
1. Technical advisory services and support to implementation of activities
The Training and Network Coordinator
- supports ODC in the planning and implementation of training activities related to the StA cooperation and information workshops
- assists and monitors the development and implementation of project plans and activities in close consultation with the counterparts
- procures the furnishing of the ODC as prescribed by the project document and as per GIZ rules and regulations
- moderates and facilitates internal and external meetings and workshops
- supports in organizing and conducting workshops or any activities to enhance the multi-stakeholder dialogue
- proposes and initiates new and innovative approaches and ideas to enhance the quantity and quality of training
- contributes to preparing and implementing the coordination process, joint project activities and work inside different governorates
- reaches out to beneficiaries
- deals with the design, preparation and implementation of workshops, seminars and other events on issues connected to the project’s area of activity
- develops and organises quality assurance measures and suggests necessary changes, improvements and initiatives
2. Coordination and monitoring
The Training and Network Coordinator
- liaises with Orange, ODC, selected Partner/university
- liaises with other development partners (private sector and other training institutes)
- coordinates all the activities between and among different project locations and ensures efficient communication and coordination
- supports the monitoring and updates on progress and reports regularly on the status of results
- supports the coordination with other national and international development agencies when it relates to public private partnerships
- supports the contracting and procurement processes.
- coordinates with other GIZ projects whenever needed
3. Communication and Knowledge management
The Training and Network Coordinator
- drafts report and translates documents (Arabic/English/Arabic) as needed
- adds knowledge, shares documents and reports to the whole StAGO team
- prepares, updates and collects information for internal and external communication
4. Other duties/additional tasks
The Training and Network Coordinator
- travels within Egypt or elsewhere as needed
- performs other duties and tasks at the request of the Senior Implementation Officer
C. Required qualifications, competences and experience
- University degree (preferably M.A. /M.Sc. degree) in economics, ICT, social or engineering, or other relevant discipline.
- Holding a post graduate degree in business (ex. MBA) and/or project management is an asset.
- At least 5-7 years of professional experience in a comparable position including preferably experience at the international level involving technical cooperation in developing countries.
- Familiarity with project management, including budgeting, and operational planning
- Experiences in handling multi-stakeholder projects including public-private-partnerships.
- Very good knowledge of university graduates training system; ideally experiences in advising digital training centres in Egypt.
- Very good networker.
Other knowledge, additional competences
- Technical Background: Digital Skills, entrepreneurship and education.
- Good network within the Egyptian ICT landscape
- Excellent knowledge of the Egyptian entrepreneurial and digital ecosystem knowledge and experience.
- Corporate-Start-up knowledge and experiences.
- Excellent communication skills and the ability to deal with various partners involving government, private sector and civil society organizations.
- Ability and flexibility to travel across the country including Delta region and Upper Egypt.
- Ability to work in dynamic and complex working environments.
- Very good working knowledge of ICT technologies (related software, phone, fax, email, the internet) and computer applications (e.g. MS Office).
- Fluent written and oral knowledge of English and Arabic, working knowledge of German is an asset.
- Willingness to up-skill as required by the tasks to be performed.
- Results orientation and accountability.
- Ability to work under pressure and sometimes long working hours.
D. Submission of Application
- Interested candidates shall submit their application in English by e-mail to HR-Egypt@giz.de by maximum Wednesday, the 13th of May 2020.
- The application is to include a cover letter and an updated CV, indicating earliest date of availability and contact details (at least mobile/phone no. and e-mail address).
- Only applications mentioning the position title “Training and Network Coordinator - ODC - your name” in the subject field of the e-mail will be considered.
- The position can be filled by the 15th of June 2020.
- The main work location will be at PSME Office in Garden City, Cairo as well the ODC location (to be identified)
- Travel within Egypt will often occur.
- The position is for candidates with Egyptian Nationality or a valid residence permit only.