The „Deutsche Gesellschaft für Internationale Zusammenarbeit (GIZ) GmbH“
(German Development Cooperation)
Strengthening Reform Initiatives in the Public Administration (SRIP)
Project No. 15.4102.8-001.00
Re-Announcement of the Job Vacancy for the position of “Advisor - for the Administrative Reform Component"
Starting date: 1st of March, 2018
Duration of contract: 12 months, subject to renewal
About the GIZ
The wide range of services offered by the Deutsche Gesellschaft für Internationale Zusammenarbeit (GIZ) GmbH are based on a wealth of regional and technical expertise and on tried and tested management know-how. We are a German federal enterprise and offer workable, sustainable and effective solutions in political, economic and social change processes.
Most of our work is commissioned by the German Federal Ministry for Economic Cooperation and Development (BMZ). However, GIZ also operates on behalf of other German ministries and public and private bodies in Germany and abroad. These include governments of other countries, the European Commission, the United Nations and the World Bank. We are equally committed to helping our clients in the private sector attain their goals.
The registered offices of GIZ are in Bonn and Eschborn. In 2016, our business volume amounted to around 2.4 billion euros. Around 70 per cent of our local workforce of 18,260 people is national personnel working in over 120 countries. In our capacity as a recognised sending organisation, we currently have 640 development workers in action in partner countries. In addition, CIM, a joint operation of GIZ and the Federal Employment Agency, placed almost 850 integrated and returning experts with local employers abroad in 2016 while providing them with financial support and advisory services.
About GIZ Egypt
Since 1956, GIZ has been present in Egypt implementing projects on behalf of the German government. We thus contribute to the economic and social stabilisation of the country. GIZ Egypt currently employs around 200 national and 50 international experts.
Our projects in cooperation with the Egyptian government focus on the areas of renewable energies and energy efficiency, sustainable economic development for employment, water supply and sanitation, irrigation and waste management, youth, women and families and urban development.
The GIZ Office Cairo supports the implementation of projects by providing logistic, financial, procurement and personnel services.
About the project “Strengthening Reform Initiatives in the Public Administration”
In its transition phase, Egypt still faces great socio-political, economic and societal challenges amidst high expectations for public administrative reforms, upholding the rights enshrined in Egypt’s constitution of 2014 and managing official development assistance. The project “Strengthening Reform Initiatives in the Public Administration” supports selected state institutions in performing their roles more effectively and in better response to the needs of citizens. In the framework of the Egyptian-German bilateral development cooperation, the project has been commissioned by the German Federal Ministry for Economic Cooperation and Development (BMZ) from January 2016 to December 2019.
While the wages of the around six million civil servants account for a quarter of state expenditure, the civil service still needs support to enhance its efficiency, transparency and improve services provided to citizens. Modernising the human resource management is thus among the key priorities of the Egyptian government. With the Egypt Vision 2030 and the Civil Service Law of 2016, the government has initiated a comprehensive programme to tackle needed reforms. GIZ supports the technical, organisational and management capacities of the Central Agency for Organisation and Administration (CAOA) and other partners to introduce an efficient human resources management system across the public administration.
Salary band 4 –
Advisor (Administrative Reform Component)
The Advisor is responsible for
- managing different consultancy assignments and working areas of the component in close coordination with the team and the superior
- assisting project initiatives to provide professional advisory services to and cooperate with a broad range of target groups (Steering Team, Operational Team, Task forces and others) from the partner institutions
- preparing for and designing the component’s implementation phase in coordination with team members and supervisor
The Advisor performs the following tasks:
1. Advising the partner institution(s)
- assists and monitors the development and implementation of component plans and activities in close consultation with counterparts
- contributes to preparing and implementing the coordination process, joint component activities and work at the regional level
- deals with the design, preparation and implementation of workshops, seminars and other events on issues connected with the component area of activity
- develops and organises quality assurance measures and suggests necessary changes, improvements and initiatives
- draft terms of references for local and international consultancies to be contracted in close coordination with counterparts, and finalize contracts until pay transfer
- monitors consultants’ deliverables and ensure high quality delivery of agreed upon outputs
2. Networking and Cooperation
- supports cooperation, regular contact and dialogue with partners, cooperates with different ministries, relevant organisations, non-governmental agencies and individuals in the component environment and with other projects to improve and maintain good working relationships
- communicates local interests and efforts, forwards these and encourages sharing ideas and information for the benefit of the component
3. Coordination Tasks
- assists with general component planning and develops component concepts including preparation, organisation and moderation of planning exercises and their implementation, management, monitoring, quality management, evaluation, communication and documentation
- coordinates relevant component activities at national and local level (if needed) in consultation with the supervisor and in cooperation with the partners, both as regards implementation and preparing organisational aspects
- compiles the relevant information for joint activities and assignments
- works on problem solving and keep a good team spirit working mode, that allow smooth desolation of bottle necks
- utilizes GIZ instrument and work methodology while designing strategies and implementation plans and ensure knowledge transfer to partner institutions
4. Other duties
- assists with general project planning, monitoring & evaluation, quality management
- performs other duties and tasks at the request of management
C. Required qualifications, competences and experience:
- MSc/MA/Masters in the following: public administration, political science, development studies, economics or law.
- Knowledge of governance and/or public administration reform.
- Minimum 5 years of professional experience in development cooperation or governmental institutions, public sector reform or any other relevant field.
Other knowledge, additional competences
- Capacity to work independently and manage more than one project/task at the same time.
- Excellent communication skills, esp. very strong English & Arabic writing skills; knowledge of German is an asset.
- Ability to work well in a team.
- Ability to align with project partners’ demands and mode of operations.
- Very good working knowledge of ICT technologies (e.g. MS Office software, email).
- Familiarity with government institutions.
- Flexibility with regards to additional tasks and being assigned with tasks of other team members.
- Moderation, facilitation and presentation skills.
D. Submission of Application:
- Interested candidates shall submit their application in English by e-mail to HR-Egypt@giz.de by maximum Sunday, the 28th of January 2018.
- The application is to include a cover letter and an updated CV, indicating earliest date of availability and contact details (at least mobile/phone no. and e-mail address).
- Only applications mentioning the position title (Advisor – SRIP) in the subject field of the e-mail will be considered.
- The position can be filled by the 1st of March, 2018.
- The main work location will be the SRIP Office in El-Zamalek, Cairo.
- Occasional trips within Egypt or outside Egypt for about 10% of the working time will occur.
- The position is for candidates with Egyptian Nationality and holders of Egyptian work permits only.