The Deutsche Gesellschaft für Internationale Zusammenarbeit (GIZ) GmbH“
(German Development Cooperation)
Technical Support to the Comprehensive Technical Education Reform Initiative with Egypt (TCTI)
Project No. 19.2000.8-001.00
Job Vacancy Announcement for the position of Junior Advisor – Output 1 (Centre for the Enhancement of Quality assurance in Technical Education - CEQAT)
Starting date: 17th of April 2022
Duration of Contract: 12 months, subject to renewal based on performance
The Deutsche Gesellschaft für Internationale Zusammenarbeit (GIZ) GmbH is a global service provider in the field of international cooperation for sustainable development and international education work, with 22,199 employees, almost 70 per cent of whom are national staff. GIZ has over 50 years of experience in a wide variety of areas, including economic development and employment, energy and the environment, and peace and security.
Our business volume is around 3.1 billion euros. As a public-benefit federal enterprise, GIZ supports the German Government – in particular the Federal Ministry for Economic Cooperation and Development (BMZ) – and many public and private sector clients in around 120 countries in achieving their objectives in international cooperation. With this aim, GIZ works together with its partners to develop effective solutions that offer people better prospects and sustainably improve their living conditions.
About GIZ Egypt
Operating in Egypt since 1956, GIZ provides technical expertise, develops capacities and delivers effective solutions in close partnership with local governmental and non-governmental organisations.
GIZ Egypt currently employees arround 320 national and 35 international experts. GIZ supports Egypt in its efforts to achieve the “Sustainable Development Strategy: Egypt Vision 2030” in order to create better social and economic prospects for the Egyptian people. On behalf of the German Government, the European Union and other parties, GIZ implements projects in all parts of Egypt in the areas of Renewable Energy and Energy Efficiency; Water Supply and Sanitation, Irrigation and Waste Management; Sustainable Economic Development for Employment; Governance and Urban Development.
For more information, please visit http://www.giz.de/egypt
About the "Technical Support to the Comprehensive Technical Education Reform Initiative with Egypt" (TCTI)
During the 2018 government negotiations between Egypt and Germany, the Egyptian Ministry of Education and Technical Education (MoETE) and the German Federal Ministry for Economic Cooperation and Development (BMZ) have signed an official letter of intent which stipulates a long-term commitment by BMZ to support the MoETE’s ongoing reform efforts, known as Technical Education Reform 2.0.
The agreement covers 4 main areas which were identified as crucial for a sustainable comprehensive development of the TE sector in Egypt:
- Establishment of a Central Quality Unit to enhance quality management within the MoETE (CEQAT)
- Establishment of a National Accreditation System for TVET institutions and programmes (ETQAAN)
- Establishment of a Technical and Vocational Education Teachers Academy (TVETA), with regional branches within centres of excellence
- Systematic integration of the private sector into the system of technical education
TCTI has been designed in line with this agreement aiming at supporting the reform of the Egyptian technical education with a focus on dual education. It supports the enhancement of quality as well as the accreditation system for technical education institutions and programs while supporting the sustainable capacity development of technical education personnel. TCTI also aims at ensuring the systemic and systematic integration of the private sector in technical education, which includes the upgrade of the assessment system to integrate private sector, enhancing quality of in-company training and establishment of centers of excellence through the sister project „Employment Promotion Project.“
About the Component: MoETE‘s capacity to support TVET schools in implementing quality management has been strengthened through the establishment of "The Centre for the Enhancement of Quality Assurance in Technical Education - CEQAT"
To ensure the continuous improvement of quality in technical education, one of the areas of agreement with the MoETE focuses on the establishment of the Centre for the Enhancement of Quality assurance in Technical Education (CEQAT). CEQAT is mandated to support technical education schools in gradually introducing and implementing TE internal Quality Management Systems (QMS) to improve the quality of each institution, its management, internal educational processes and consequently, lead to competent graduates who have acquired the skills, knowledge and competences needed by the labour market. It will also support the establishment and institutionalization of a quality monitoring system that aims at supporting evidence-based educational policymaking. Quality assurance in technical education will be enabled through CEQAT, once established, as the unit is mandated to prepare technical education schools for quality assurance with an emphasis on institutional and programme accreditation. The unit will, therefore, closely coordinate with the national accreditation/quality assurance authority for technical education.
CEQAT will be an internal unit of the MoETE embedded in the organizational structure of the ministry and will report directly to H.E the deputy minister for technical education through the technical office, once established. The unit will work very closely with the technical education sector within the MoETE (on all levels), through the coordination committee.
Salary band 3 – Junior professional 3T
Junior Advisor – Output 1 (Centre for the Enhancement of Quality assurance in Technical Education - CEQAT)
Head of Project (AV)
GIZ Internal Function Designation
Junior Vocational Training and Labour Market Advisor
The Junior Advisor is responsible for:
- supporting in the technical advice to the Ministry of Education and Technical Education (MoETE) on the establishment of a new quality unit, within the framework of the technical education reform (TE 2.0)
- supporting the MoETE in the process of building the capacities of staff in the new quality unit
- supporting the process of assessing the readiness of schools for quality improvement and accreditation
- supporting the exchange on the interlinkages between the different teams within TCTI and cross GIZ projects and development organizations
- carrying out research required for planning and implementing relevant activities
- supporting the M&E of relevant output activities
- developing communication and public relations materials for the output
The Junior Advisor performs the following tasks:
1. Advising the Partner Institution(s)
The Junior Advisor
- supports in the review of training material delivered by consultants for capacity building in the field of quality management and monitoring
- supports in the design, preparation and implementation of workshops, seminars and other events related to the capacity building in the field of quality management and monitoring through the central quality unit of the MoETE
- supports in the process of procurement for the regional quality unit branches
- supports in the process of updating the schools’ readiness assessment tool
- supports the process of assessing the readiness of schools for quality improvement and accreditation
- supports with the preparation and translation of material (PPTs and other) for workshops with partners and documenting outcomes
- organizes and coordinates visits of consultants to directorates and schools
- documents and follows up on the results of all workshops, meetings, and other activities
- coordinates correspondence between the output and the MoETE
- develops communication material (letters, etc.)
2. Research and knowledge management
The Junior Advisor
- carries out research required for the planning, conceptualization and implementation of output activities
- maintains good and structured documentation of all relevant activities and interventions and ensures documents are regularly updated on the knowledge-sharing platform of the project
- assists in developing communication and PR material for the output’s major activities
- translates documents from English to Arabic and vice versa, as needed
- supports knowledge transfer to other colleagues in the project and to other relevant projects
- supports the M&E of relevant activities
3. Other duties/additional tasks
The Junior Advisor
- performs other duties and tasks at the request of management
C. Required qualifications, competences and experience
- University degree in economics, political science, development studies, business, sociology, or similar.
- Initial experience (internship or similar) in this area.
Other knowledge, additional competences
- Good knowledge about the Egyptian labour market, TVET and the employment context.
- Knowledge about quality management and quality monitoring systems.
- Very good working knowledge of ICT technologies and computer applications (e.g. MS Office).
- Excellent command of English and Arabic (written and spoken), German is an asset.
- Strong analytical skills.
- Excellent communication skills.
- Willingness to travel to different governorates when necessary.
D. Submission of Application
- Kindly send your applications in English by e-mail to HR-Egypt@giz.de by maximum Monday, the 21st of March 2022.
- The application must include a motivation letter and an updated CV in English language, indicating the earliest date of availability and contact details (mobile/phone no. and e-mail address).
- Only e-mail applications mentioning the subject title “Junior Advisor (CEQAT) - TCTI - your name” will be considered.
- The position can be filled by the 17th of April 2022.
- The contract is for 12 months, but extendable, based on a successful employment period.
- The work location will be at the TCTI office in Shoubra, Cairo.
- Travel in the country for an average of 30% of working time in different governorates.
- The position is for candidates with Egyptian Nationality, or a valid work permit only.
- All applications will be reviewed, and only shortlisted candidates will be contacted.
- If you do not receive the automated email confirmation acknowledging receipt of your application, please check your spam or junk folder.
- GIZ Egypt is committed to achieving workforce diversity. Female candidates and persons with disabilities are strongly encouraged to apply.