The ,,Deutsche Gesellschaft für Internationale Zusammenarbeit (GIZ) GmbH“
German Development Cooperation
Technical Support to the Comprehensive Technical Education Reform Initiative (TCTI)
Project No. 2019.2000.8
Job Vacancy Announcement for the position of Head of Component Technical & Vocational Education and Training Academy (TVETA)
Starting date: 1st of August 2021
Duration of Contract: 12 months, subject to renewal based on performance
The Deutsche Gesellschaft für Internationale Zusammenarbeit (GIZ) GmbH is a global service provider in the field of international cooperation for sustainable development and international education work, with 22,199 employees, almost 70 per cent of whom are national staff. GIZ has over 50 years of experience in a wide variety of areas, including economic development and employment, energy and the environment, and peace and security.
Our business volume is around 3.1 billion euros. As a public-benefit federal enterprise, GIZ supports the German Government – in particular the Federal Ministry for Economic Cooperation and Development (BMZ) – and many public and private sector clients in around 120 countries in achieving their objectives in international cooperation. With this aim, GIZ works together with its partners to develop effective solutions that offer people better prospects and sustainably improve their living conditions.
About GIZ Egypt
Operating in Egypt since 1956, GIZ provides technical expertise, develops capacities and delivers effective solutions in close partnership with local governmental and non-governmental organisations.
GIZ Egypt currently employees arround 320 national and 35 international experts. GIZ supports Egypt in its efforts to achieve the “Sustainable Development Strategy: Egypt Vision 2030” in order to create better social and economic prospects for the Egyptian people. On behalf of the German Government, the European Union and other parties, GIZ implements projects in all parts of Egypt in the areas of Renewable Energy and Energy Efficiency; Water Supply and Sanitation, Irrigation and Waste Management; Sustainable Economic Development for Employment; Governance and Urban Development.
For more information, please visit http://www.giz.de/egypt
About the “ Technical Support to the Comprehensive Technical Education Reform Initiative (TCTI)”
During the 2018 government negotiations between Egypt and Germany, the Egyptian Ministry of Education and Technical Education (MoETE) and the German Federal Ministry for Economic Cooperation and Development (BMZ) have signed an official letter of intent which stipulates a long-term commitment by BMZ to support the MoETE’s ongoing reform efforts, known as Technical Education Reform 2.0.
The agreement covers 4 main areas which were identified as crucial for a sustainable comprehensive development of the TE sector in Egypt:
- Establishment of a Central Quality Unit to enhance quality management within the MoETE (CEQAT)
- Establishment of a National Accreditation System for TVET institutions and programmes (ETQAAN)
- Establishment of a Technical and Vocational Education Teachers Academy (TVETA), with regional branches within centres of excellence
- Systematic integration of the private sector into the system of technical education
TCTI has been designed in line with this agreement aiming at supporting the reform of the Egyptian technical education with a focus on dual education. It supports the enhancement of quality as well as the accreditation system for technical education institutions and programs while supporting the sustainable capacity development of technical education personnel. TCTI also aims at ensuring the systemic and systematic integration of the private sector in technical education, which includes the upgrade of the assessment system to integrate private sector, enhancing quality of in-company training and establishment of centers of excellence through the sister project „Employment Promotion Project.“
About the Component: "Technical & Vocational Education and Training Academy (TVETA)"
As outlined in the Ministry’s Technical Education Reform Strategy TE 2.0, the Technical & Vocational Education and Training Academy (TVETA) will be the central department in the Ministry of Education and Technical Education (MoETE). TVETA is founded to train and develop technical teachers, trainers, assessors, internal verifiers, managing and administrative personnel of technical schools as well as representatives of the private sector who are involved in TVET activities (mainly in-company trainers). TVETA establishes policies for teacher development, undertakes research on TVET trends and principles and is committed to international quality standards. TVETA with its head in Cairo will be represented in the Egyptian governorates and economic sectors through satellite centers affiliated to TVETA and potentially housed within Centres of Competence (CoC).
TVETA’s Mandate is to carry out further vocational education and training for TVET personnel of the private and public sector. TVETA promotes also practice-oriented TVET research and is responsible for the knowledge management of the sector. TVETA will manage all further trainings of the teaching and management staff of the MoETE, companies and entities tackled by the TE 2.0 reform.
Salary band 5
Head of Component - TVETA
Head of Project of TCTI
The Head of Component is responsible for:
- managing Component 3 (Technical & Vocational Education and Training Academy) in coordination with the line management and in accordance with the commission, project goals and activities
- contributing to and implementing of the strategic vision of the line management of the development of the technical education reform 2.0
- supporting the Head of Project in representing Component 3 to the political partner, the Ministry of Education and Technical Education (MoETE) and to development partners
- the disciplinary leadership of staff of Component 3, according to and in line with GIZ rules and regulations
- coordinating the different strategic developments of Component 3, including budget planning and monitoring
- providing professional advice to partners in cooperation with important stakeholders
- steering consultants supporting the partner and GIZ in designing, piloting, establishing and operationalizing TVETA
- leading multi-level steering structures for reform processes with the Ministry of Education and other development partners
- aligning with other reform relevant projects and/or components to identify areas of cooperation
The Head of Component performs the following tasks:
1. Management tasks
The Head of Component
- manages all activities in the project’s Component 3 in close coordination with his/her line manager
- plans training activities and workshops for intermediaries of the component, including high-level officials and decision makers from the Ministry of Education and Technical Education (MoETE), with a strong technical focus on education and training of TVET staff, TVET research and the dual vocational education
- monitors activities and results on component level and reports all component activities to the Head of Project
- steers the development of the component and ensures coordination and alignment between activities in the different areas of support for the technical education reform, particularly within pillar 3 “Transformed Teachers through Training & Qualification” the Egyptian Technical Education Reform (TE 2.0).
- ensures coordination and alignment between the relevant implementation regulations to the education and training of TVET staff, policies for teacher development, TVET research and qualification of in-company trainers who are involved in DS activities in Egypt.
- initiates and facilitates internal and external meetings and workshops.
- supports the team to design and implement new and complementary activities in accordance with the developments in the government’s strategic directions in the field of education and training of TVET staff
- manages staff in accordance with management principles and guidelines to promote a sense of corporate identity, enable employees to carry out tasks independently and create scope for developing creativity and innovation
- is responsible for recruiting, selecting and the professional development of staff members who report to him/her and carries out the annual staff assessment and development talks for staff members, who report to him/her
- is responsible for monitoring, managing staff and ensuring that they provide cost-effective services
- is responsible for the documentation of activities and decisions in DMS, relevant to the commission and the budget spending as stated in the internal regulations of GIZ
2. Coordination and cooperation
The Head of Component
- liaises with development partners and intermediaries on national and regional level, with a technical focus on education training of teachers of the MoETE and other TVET staff and in-company trainers
- identifies cooperation potentials with development partners in the relevant fields and initiates cooperation
- supporting the MoETE in designing and leading the establishment and operationalization of the Technical & Vocational Education and Training Academy (TVETA), one of the main areas of pillar 3 “Transformed Teachers through Training & Qualification” of the Egyptian Technical Education Reform (TE 2.0)
- leads taskforces and working groups in the relevant areas that are mandated to plan and implement education, training, upskilling and qualification activities for teachers, TVET staff and in-company trainers under the technical education reform
- manages the component monitoring and guarantees updated information on progress and reports regularly on the status of results to the Head of Project
- manages short term contracts and monitors experts to ensure the successful completion of their tasks
The Head of Component
- supervises qualitative and quantitative research projects in the area of TVET, staff professional development and policy development on requests by the commissioner and the project partners
4. Communication and Knowledge management
The Head of Component
- reviews and finalizes reports and organises the translation of documents (Arabic/English/Arabic)
- reviews information for internal and external communication
- prepares and supports the communication between the Head of Project and the German Embassy in Cairo
C. Required qualifications, competences and experience
- Masters/MSc or doctorate in the area of education, international development, social science, economics.
- Previous experience in the field of education and training of TVET personnel as well as qualification of in-company trainers.
- 5-7 years’ professional experience, with at least 5 years’ professional experience in a comparable position.
Other knowledge, additional competences
- Excellent organizational and management skills.
- Very good knowledge on competency-based methodologies and dual education.
- Very good understanding of processes within public authorities and institutions.
- Very good working knowledge of ITC technologies (related software, phone, fax, email, the internet) and computer applications (e.g. MS Office).
- Fluent written and oral knowledge of the English and Arabic, a working knowledge of German is a plus.
- Willingness to upskill as required by the tasks to be performed – corresponding measures are agreed with management.
D. Submission of Application
- Kindly send your applications in English by e-mail to HR-Egypt@giz.de by Thursday, the 8th of July 2021.
- The application must include a motivation letter and an updated CV in English language, indicating the earliest date of availability and contact details (mobile/phone no. and e-mail address).
- Only applications mentioning the subject title “Head of Component (TVETA) – TCTI – your name” will be considered.
- The position can be filled by the 1st of August 2021.
- The contract is for 12 months, subject to renewal based on a successful employment period.
- The work location will be in Shubra, Cairo, around 10% working time may require travelling to Alexandria, Assuit, Aswan or other governorates in Egypt.
- The position is for candidates with Egyptian Nationality, or a valid work permit only.
- All applications will be reviewed, and only shortlisted candidates will be contacted.
- If you do not receive the automated email confirmation acknowledging receipt of your application, please check your spam or junk folder.
- GIZ Egypt is committed to achieving workforce diversity. Female candidates and persons with disabilities are strongly encouraged to apply.