The „Deutsche Gesellschaft für Internationale Zusammenarbeit (GIZ) GmbH“
German Development Cooperation
“Agricultural Innovation Project” (AIP)
Announcement for an Internship Opportunity
Starting date: 22nd of September, 2019
Duration of contract: 3 months (subject to renewal for up to 6 months)
About the GIZ
The Deutsche Gesellschaft für Internationale Zusammenarbeit (GIZ) GmbH is a global service provider in the field of international cooperation for sustainable development and international education work, with 20,726 employees. GIZ has over 50 years of experience in a wide variety of areas, including economic development and employment, energy and the environment, and peace and security.
Our business volume is around 3 billion euros. As a public-benefit federal enterprise, GIZ supports the German Government – in particular the Federal Ministry for Economic Cooperation and Development (BMZ) – and many public and private sector clients in around 120 countries in achieving their objectives in international cooperation. With this aim, GIZ works together with its partners to develop effective solutions that offer people better prospects and sustainably improve their living conditions.
About GIZ Egypt
Operating in Egypt since 1956, GIZ provides technical expertise, develops capacities and delivers effective solutions in close partnership with local governmental and non-governmental organisations.
GIZ Egypt currently employs around 310 national and 47 international experts. GIZ supports Egypt in its efforts to achieve the “Sustainable Development Strategy: Egypt Vision 2030” in order to create better social and economic prospects for the Egyptian people. On behalf of the German Government, the European Union and other parties, GIZ implements projects in all parts of Egypt in the areas of Renewable Energy and Energy Efficiency; Water Supply and Sanitation, Irrigation and Waste Management; Sustainable Economic Development for Employment; Governance and Urban Development.
For more information, please visit http://www.giz.de/egypt.
About the “Agricultural Innovation Project” (AIP)
The Egyptian Republic has an increasing economic growth of meanwhile 5.3% (Egypt`s Economic Update April 2019, World Bank), which is not enough to compensate for the demographical caused increase of job seekers entering the labor market every year.
In Upper Egypt agriculture has an exceptional importance, providing 63% of employment and 40% of the rural income. A structural change towards a more competitive agricultural economy is challenging, since small-scale agricultural businesses only partially fulfill the requirements of the changing market conditions. Low marketing competencies, a lack of access to agricultural inputs and credits, missing technical innovations, and insufficient agricultural extension put farmers in front of ostensible insurmountable obstacles. Hence, small-scale agricultural farms lack innovation in order to improve their income opportunities.
The Agricultural Innovation Project has the target to increase the income of small-scale agriculture in Upper Egypt through the usage of agricultural innovation.
Therefore, the approach of value chain facilitation will be used, consequently applied from the market perspective. Farmers’ organizations will be supported by the project through technological innovation, consolidation of marketing abilities and the diversification of sales channels. The emphasize will lie on the national market, in addition potentials on export markets should be discovered. The value chains sweet potatoes, medical and aromatic plants (MAP) and green beans will be fostered.
The project will be implemented in three fields of activities: (i) Strengthening of farmers organizations (ii) Innovations for sustainable small-scale agriculture and (iii) Market access for small-scale farmers.
Description of Frame of Internship
The Intern performs the following tasks:
- assists in the preparation of research papers, reports and presentations related to the preparation of the Agricultural Innovation Project;
- prepares and participates in internal and external meetings and events, including field trips;
- supports in the organization and conduction of the re-appraisal mission, trainings, workshops and events for the preparation of the project;
- supports in external communication (web page editing and intranet articles);
- supports in the documentation of meetings and events;
- translates documents and interprets from English to Arabic or vice versa
B. Required Entry Qualifications and Competencies
- University degree in agriculture, economics, political science, other social sciences, statistics or in a related field.
Other knowledge, additional competences
- Strong interest in development, with prior work experience in international development cooperation being an asset.
- Knowledge and/or relevant experience of the situation of Egyptian agricultural production.
- Good command of English and Arabic, both spoken and written.
- Proficiency in MS Office programs. (Word, Excel, PowerPoint, and Outlook)
- Strong communication and interpersonal skills.
- Willingness to travel to governorates in Upper Egypt.
- Ability to work in an intercultural environment.
- Willingness to upskill as required by the tasks to be performed.
- Carries out other tasks, relevant to the project’s needs.
C. Application procedure
- Kindly send your application in English by e-mail to HR-Egypt@giz.de by Sunday, September 15th, 2019.
- Only e-mail applications mentioning the subject title “Internship - AIP - your name” will be considered
- The application is to include a cover letter and an updated CV.
- The position can be filled by the 22nd of September, 2019.
- The work location will be in Maadi and/or Downtown Cairo and up to 15% of working time may require travelling within Egypt, i.e. to Luxor and within Greater Cairo.
- The contract will be for 3 months, subject to renewal, up to 6 months.
- The position is for candidates with Egyptian Nationality or a valid residence permit only.