The ,,Deutsche Gesellschaft für Internationale Zusammenarbeit (GIZ) GmbH“
German Development Cooperation
“The Strategic Alliance on Digital Training in Egypt" (StAGO)
Project No. 19.0210.5-105.01
Job Vacancy Announcement for the position of Junior Advisor
Starting date: 4th of May 2021
Duration of Contract: 12 months, subject to renewal based on performance and project extension
The Deutsche Gesellschaft für Internationale Zusammenarbeit (GIZ) GmbH is a global service provider in the field of international cooperation for sustainable development and international education work, with 20,726 employees. GIZ has over 50 years of experience in a wide variety of areas, including economic development and employment, energy and the environment, and peace and security.
Our business volume is around 3 billion euros. As a public-benefit federal enterprise, GIZ supports the German Government – in particular the Federal Ministry for Economic Cooperation and Development (BMZ) – and many public and private sector clients in around 120 countries in achieving their objectives in international cooperation. With this aim, GIZ works together with its partners to develop effective solutions that offer people better prospects and sustainably improve their living conditions.
About GIZ Egypt
Operating in Egypt since 1956, GIZ provides technical expertise, develops capacities and delivers effective solutions in close partnership with local governmental and non-governmental organisations.
GIZ Egypt currently employs around 310 national and 47 international experts. GIZ supports Egypt in its efforts to achieve the “Sustainable Development Strategy: Egypt Vision 2030” in order to create better social and economic prospects for the Egyptian people. On behalf of the German Government, the European Union and other parties, GIZ implements projects in all parts of Egypt in the areas of Renewable Energy and Energy Efficiency; Water Supply and Sanitation, Irrigation and Waste Management; Sustainable Economic Development for Employment; Governance and Urban Development.
For more information, please visit http://www.giz.de/egypt
About the “The Strategic Alliance with Orange on Digital Training and Education in Egypt”
Youth unemployment is a global challenge. According to the World Bank, the global youth unemployment rate was around 13.4% in 2017. The majority of African countries have to struggle with significantly higher rates (e.g., Egypt 36.3%; Ivory Coast 25%). In large parts of Africa, even young adults with higher education are often unemployed. The lack of "employment-related skills" - the knowledge and skills that the economy is looking for today (e.g., "digital skills") - is increasingly becoming a problem. The prevalence of skills shortages is an obstacle to the development of local enterprises, foreign Investment and thus hampers the development of our partner countries. Training young people in job-related digital skills plays a key role in developing and strengthening labor markets in the 14 countries of the project, including Egypt. Effective training in digital literacy is thus beneficial not only for the local ICT sector but also for all private sectors in need of digitization (e.g., agriculture, food Processing, automotive, electronics, healthcare, textile industry). The attractiveness of the countries as business locations will be sustainably improved with a more digitally trained youth pool.
As one of the most important socio-economic actors in Africa and the Middle East, Orange has a clear medium and long-term interest in building innovative digital ecosystems in countries where it has a presence. Supporting local economic development, particularly by creating opportunities for young people, is important to create a stable and sustainable business environment. The Orange Digital Center project builds on an ambitious Programme to support entrepreneurship.
Under the umbrella of the Orange Digital Center, training, coaching, mentoring and Professional change training sessions are offered. It aims to improve the skills of young graduates, focus the education of students more on tomorrow's jobs and promote entrepreneurial skills.
The Orange Digital Centers (ODC) consist of:
1. Software School (Coding School),
2. workshop for digital hardware (FabLab Solidaire) and
3. a start-up accelerator (Orange Fab).
Salary band 3 –
Head of Strategic Alliances on Technical and Digital Education/Training
The Junior Advisor is responsible for assigned activities under the Strategic Alliance with Orange on Digital Training in Egypt. He/she is responsible for tasks that foster the achievement of the overall objectives of the Project (Orange Digital Centre) and to ensure a smooth coordination among the stakeholders of the project.
These responsibilities include and are not limited to, supporting in the following:
- procurement of the furnishing and the IT set up of the Orange Digital Centers (ODC)
- establishing of further cooperation with other relevant national actors (e.g., training providers) / partners from the Private Sector
- monitoring the day-to-day business, including maintaining the Monitoring &Evaluation system for the Strategic Alliances (StA) (in particular the GIZ contribution)
- project communication and marketing of the training programmes of the ODC
- preparing reports to relevant internal and external stakeholders
The Junior Advisor performs the following tasks:
1. Technical advisory services and support to implementation of activities
The Junior Advisor
- supports in the ODC planning and implementation of training activities related to the StA cooperation and information workshops
- assists and monitors the development and implementation of project plans and activities in close consultation with the counterparts
- supports in the procurement of the furnishing of the ODC as prescribed by the project document as prescribed by the project document as per GIZ rules and regulations and in close cooperation with Orange Egypt assists in the moderation and facilitation of the internal and external meetings and workshops
- supports in organizing and conducting workshops or any activities to enhance the multi-stakeholder dialogue
- proposes and initiates new and innovative approaches and ideas to enhance the quantity and quality of training
- contributes to preparing and implementing the coordination process, joint project activities and work inside different governorates
- facilitates reaching out to beneficiaries
- deals with the design, preparation and implementation of workshops, seminars and other events on issues connected to the project’s area of activity
- supports in developing and organising quality assurance measures and suggesting necessary changes, improvements and initiatives
2. Coordination and monitoring
The Junior Advisor
- supports in liaising with Orange, ODC, selected partner/university and other development partners (private sector and other training institutes)
- assists in the coordinating all the activities between and among different project locations and ensures efficient communication and coordination
- supports the monitoring and updates on progress and reports regularly on the status of results
- supports the coordination with other national and international development agencies related to public private partnerships
- supports the contracting and procurement processes
- coordinates activities with other GIZ projects whenever needed
3. Communication and Knowledge management
The Junior Advisor
- supports in drafting reports and translating documents (Arabic/English) as needed
- shares knowledge, documents and reports with the whole StAGO team
- assists in preparing, updating and collecting information for internal and external communication
4. Other duties/additional tasks
The Junior Advisor
- travels within Egypt or elsewhere as needed
- performs other duties and tasks at the request of the management
C. Required qualifications, competences and experiences
- University degree (preferably M.A. /M.Sc. degree) in economics, ICT, social or engineering, or other relevant discipline
- Holding a post graduate degree in business and/or project management is an asset
- At least 1-3 years of professional experience in a comparable position including preferably experience at the international level involving technical cooperation in developing countries
- Familiarity with project management, including budgeting, and operational planning
- Experience in handling multi-stakeholder projects including public-private-partnerships
- Very good knowledge of university graduates training system; ideally experience in advising digital training centres in Egypt
- Very good networker
Other knowledge, additional competences
- Technical Background: Digital Skills, entrepreneurship, and education.
- Good network within the Egyptian ICT landscape.
- Excellent knowledge of the Egyptian entrepreneurial and digital ecosystem knowledge and experience.
- Corporate-Start-up knowledge and experiences.
- Excellent communication skills and the ability to deal with various partners involving government, private sector and civil society organizations.
- Ability and flexibility to travel across the country including Delta region and Upper Egypt (up to 30% of the time).
- Ability to work in dynamic and complex working environments.
- Very good working knowledge of ICT technologies (related software, phone, fax, email, the internet) and computer applications (e.g., MS Office).
- Fluent written and oral knowledge of English and Arabic, working knowledge of German is an asset.
- Willingness to up-skill as required by the tasks to be performed.
- Results orientation and accountability.
- Ability to work under pressure and sometimes long working hours.
D. Submission of Application
- Kindly send your applications in English by e-mail to HR-Egypt@giz.de by maximum Monday, the 12th of April 2021.
- The application must include a motivation letter and an updated CV in English language, indicating the earliest date of availability and contact details (mobile/phone no. and e-mail address).
- Only applications mentioning the subject title “Junior Advisor – StAGO - your name” will be considered.
- The position can be filled by the 4th of May 2021.
- The contract is for 12 months, subject to renewal, based on a successful employment period and project extension.
- The work location will be in Maadi, Cairo. Visits to ODC premises in downtown would be frequent.
- The position is for candidates with Egyptian Nationality, or a valid work permit only.
- All applications will be reviewed, and only shortlisted candidates will be contacted.
- If you do not receive the automated email confirmation acknowledging receipt of your application, please check your spam or junk folder.