The ,,Deutsche Gesellschaft für Internationale Zusammenarbeit (GIZ) GmbH“
German Development Cooperation
Capacity Building for Urban Infrastructure Development (CBUID) Project
Job Vacancy Announcement for the position of Engineering Expert for Beheira Governorate
Starting date: 1st of December 2021 or as soon as possible
Duration of Contract: 12 months, subject to renewal based on performance and project extension
The Deutsche Gesellschaft für Internationale Zusammenarbeit (GIZ) GmbH is a global service provider in the field of international cooperation for sustainable development and international education work, with 22,199 employees, almost 70 per cent of whom are national staff. GIZ has over 50 years of experience in a wide variety of areas, including economic development and employment, energy and the environment, and peace and security.
Our business volume is around 3.1 billion euros. As a public-benefit federal enterprise, GIZ supports the German Government – in particular the Federal Ministry for Economic Cooperation and Development (BMZ) – and many public and private sector clients in around 120 countries in achieving their objectives in international cooperation. With this aim, GIZ works together with its partners to develop effective solutions that offer people better prospects and sustainably improve their living conditions.
About GIZ Egypt
Operating in Egypt since 1956, GIZ provides technical expertise, develops capacities and delivers effective solutions in close partnership with local governmental and non-governmental organisations.
GIZ Egypt currently employs around 320 national and 35 international experts. GIZ supports Egypt in its efforts to achieve the “Sustainable Development Strategy: Egypt Vision 2030” in order to create better social and economic prospects for the Egyptian people. On behalf of the German Government, the European Union and other parties, GIZ implements projects in all parts of Egypt in the areas of Renewable Energy and Energy Efficiency; Water Supply and Sanitation, Irrigation and Waste Management; Sustainable Economic Development for Employment; Governance and Urban Development.
For more information, please visit http://www.giz.de/egypt
About the Capacity Building for Urban Infrastructure Development (CBUID) Project
Integrated in the GIZ Egypt Urban Development Cluster, the project is designed under consideration of experiences in the national context of urban development, infrastructure upgrading, employment promotion and vocational training. In close cooperation with the regional and local authorities, the interlinkages of these fields will be strengthened through the utilization of a labour-intensive approach of infrastructure upgrading in migration-affected informal settlements in combination with vocational training measures. In order to have sustainable results in the target areas, the project entails capacity development at different levels in the field of infrastructure rehabilitation and maintenance, provision of vocational trainings, vocational consultation, start-up and SME promotion. The overall positive socioeconomic impact of the project on the target areas will reduce competition for limited resources between long-term inhabitants and migrants, as well as relieving migratory pressures (such as lack of employment and income opportunities).
Salary band 4 –
Engineering Expert for Beheira Governorate
Head of Infrastructure Development Unit
The Engineering Expert is responsible for
- coordinating all infrastructure implementation at the level of the assigned Governorate, including districts and the affiliated governmental entities in close coordination with the Governorate Coordinator
- providing all technical services in agreement with the management and in line with the governing EU and GIZ rules and regulations
- coordinating all technical aspects related to consultancy services contracts of infrastructure and construction projects from initiation to closing
- participating in performing technical activities and providing technical support to the project on infrastructure and construction projects throughout projects planning, design, tendering and execution/supervision
- undertaking daily operational aspects of all issues related to infrastructure and construction projects
- ensuring that infrastructure and construction project matters are communicated and coordinating with GIZ Headquarters, the relevant GIZ “Urban Development Cluster” units and the targeted beneficiaries (Governorates, districts, relevant authorities and civil society organisations)
- participating in data collection and compilation, and providing technical advices related to the monitoring and evaluation of infrastructure and construction projects
The Engineering Expert performs the following tasks:
1. Professional advisory services
The Engineering Expert
- coordinates, assists and advises technically on all issues related to infrastructure and construction projects that get identified through preliminary studies Rapid Participatory Needs Assessment and related Urban Planning Processes
- prepares terms of reference for infrastructure and construction projects preliminary and feasibility studies, design, and supervision
- coordinates and assists in performing consultants' procurement, evaluation activities and consultancy services for contracts preparation in coordination with the Finance, Contracts and Procurement Unit (FCPU)
- follows up on and reviews the work of international and national engineering consultants on the design, tendering, procurement and supervision activities
- supports in formulating projects action plans and helps in synchronising the planning and budgeting systems and counterparts relevant work
- inspects projects’ sites to monitor progress and ensures project deliverables conform to design specifications and quality standards, documents comments/observation in technical reports on site visits and coordinates recommended actions with relevant parties
- is jointly responsible with the Infrastructure Management Advisor for preparing progress and completion reports, and following up on the reporting process of infrastructure and construction projects
- participates in the elaboration of reports as per BMZ and EU requirements
- liaises between consultants/contractors and FCPU to provide technical support in payments processes and administration
- ensures the timely implementation of construction projects according to agreed time schedules
- reviews claims of contractors in terms of additional works
- provides technical assistance on the elaboration of operational and maintenance plans
- ensures compliance between GIZ, EU and the national procedures related to issuing of building licenses, procurement, contracts preparation and implementation incl. the relevant EU rules and regulations
2. Networking and cooperation
The Engineering Expert
- develops and maintains contacts with governorate/district officials, community representatives and consultants as well as other stakeholders and maintains regular contact and dialogue
- communicates local interests and efforts, and encourages sharing ideas and information for the benefit of the project
- gets involved in advisory activities and meetings with relevant stakeholder (e.g. Districts, and Governorates, Communities)
- provides technical and operational assistance to local and international experts
- supports the project personnel with their communication and networking activities on technical related matters
- compiles lessons learnt from projects implementation and makes them available to the company
- liaises closely with the Employment Promotion Unit regarding curricula development of construction related trainings
3. Other duties/additional tasks
The Engineering Expert
- performs other duties and tasks at the request of management
C. Required qualifications, competences and experience
- masters/MSc in engineering (civil engineering, infrastructure planning, architecture, urban planning, mechanical engineering).
- Minimum 10 years of command experience in construction and infrastructure projects of the whole project cycle (planning, design, procurement, supervision, public sector and government bodies work relationships etc.).
- Demonstrated ability to provide advisory and consultancy services, especially in the field of technical infrastructure and construction.
- In depth knowledge in management, design and construction supervision of urban infrastructure projects.
- In depth knowledge and relevant professional experience in working with Egyptian local authorities on Governorate and District level.
- Specific experience in preparing tender documents according to applicable procurement procedures is obligatory.
- In depth knowledge about work contracts and their stipulations.
- Ability to collect, collate and assess information from different sources prior to disseminating relevant reports and conclusions.
Other knowledge, additional competences
- Very good working knowledge of ICT related software, computer applications (e.g. MS Office, MS Project and engineering software AutoCAD, etc.).
- Willingness to upskill as required by the tasks to be performed – corresponding measures are agreed with management.
- Availability for business travel inside Egypt as well as internationally.
- Advanced communication skills, ability to explain complex problems to a non-technical audience.
- Experience in dealing with international development cooperation would be an asset.
- Capacity to liaise easily in a multicultural and multilingual environment.
- Fluency in Arabic and English; working knowledge of German is an asset.
D. Application procedure
- Kindly send your applications in English by e-mail to HR-Egypt@giz.de latest by Monday the 8th of November 2021.
- The application must include a motivation letter and an updated CV in English language indicating the earliest date of availability and contact details.
- Only applications mentioning the subject title “Engineering Expert (Beheira) - CBUID - your name” will be considered.
- The position can be filled by the 1st of December 2021 or as soon as possible.
- The office location will be in Alexandria. Projects implementation will be in the Beheira governorate. Frequent field visits to projects and partners offices in Beheira will be required, and around 30% of working time may require travelling to Cairo or other governorates in Egypt.
- Duration is initially for 12 months subject to renewal, based on a successful employment period and project extension
- The position is for candidates with Egyptian Nationality, or a valid work permit only.
- All applications will be reviewed, and only shortlisted candidates will be contacted.
- If you do not receive the automated email confirmation acknowledging receipt of your application, please check your spam or junk folder.
- GIZ Egypt is committed to achieving workforce diversity. Female candidates and persons with disabilities are strongly encouraged to apply.