The „Deutsche Gesellschaft für Internationale Zusammenarbeit (GIZ) GmbH“
German Development Cooperation
“Equal Opportunities and Social Development Project” (EOSD)
Project No. 18.2156.0 -001.00
Job Vacancy Announcement for the position of Advisor
Starting date: 8th of May 2022
Duration of contract: 12 months, subject to renewal based on performance.
About the GIZ
The Deutsche Gesellschaft für Internationale Zusammenarbeit (GIZ) GmbH is a global service provider in the field of international cooperation for sustainable development and international education work, with 22,199 employees, almost 70 per cent of whom are national staff. GIZ has over 50 years of experience in a wide variety of areas, including economic development and employment, energy and the environment, and peace and security.
Our business volume is around 3.1 billion euros. As a public-benefit federal enterprise, GIZ supports the German Government – in particular the Federal Ministry for Economic Cooperation and Development (BMZ) – and many public and private sector clients in around 120 countries in achieving their objectives in international cooperation. With this aim, GIZ works together with its partners to develop effective solutions that offer people better prospects and sustainably improve their living conditions.
About GIZ Egypt
Operating in Egypt since 1956, GIZ provides technical expertise, develops capacities and delivers effective solutions in close partnership with local governmental and non-governmental organisations.
GIZ Egypt currently employs around 320 national and 35 international experts. GIZ supports Egypt in its efforts to achieve the “Sustainable Development Strategy: Egypt Vision 2030” in order to create better social and economic prospects for the Egyptian people. On behalf of the German Government, the European Union and other parties, GIZ implements projects in all parts of Egypt in the areas of Renewable Energy and Energy Efficiency; Water Supply and Sanitation, Irrigation and Waste Management; Sustainable Economic Development for Employment; Governance and Urban Development.
For more information, please visit http://www.giz.de/egypt.
About the “Equal Opportunities and Social Development Project” (EOSD)
The project “Equal Opportunities and Social Development (EOSD)” focuses on improving the preconditions for the societal participation of young people, especially women and people with disabilities. In partnership with the Ministry of Social Solidarity and the Ministry of Youth and Sports, it tackles topics such as population growth, gender equality, and the inclusion of people with disabilities. Through capacity development and participatory approaches, it provides a meaningful contribution to the implementation of government strategies and the social development of Egypt.
The project builds capacities of young men and women in various areas to play an active role within their communities while also supporting non-governmental organizations and youth initiatives who serve the targeted beneficiaries. Building on the strategic cooperation between governmental and non-governmental institutions, the project undertakes awareness-raising measures and campaigns on the local and national levels to promote gender equality, inclusion of people with disabilities and population-related topics.
The project has four main pillars: 1) Strengthening the capacities of state actors to promote the participation of young people, especially young women and young people with disabilities; 2) Empowering young people to play an active role as agents of change and role models in their respective communities; 3) Supporting civil society actors, especially youth-led nongovernmental organisations, community-based organisations, self-representative organisations of people with disabilities and youth-led initiatives through capacity building and an application-based fund; and 4) Raising the awareness of young people and their communities on selected topics related to “equal opportunities”, including gender equality, inclusion of people with disabilities, and population development.
The “Equal Opportunities and Social Development Project” works on the inclusion of people with disabilities and therefore highly encourages persons with disabilities to apply.
GIZ salary band:
Head of Component
GIZ internal function designation:
Rule of Law, Democracy, Good Governance Advisor
The Advisor is responsible for
- assisting project workstreams to provide professional advisory services to the partner institutions and cooperate with a broad range of target groups and stakeholders
- managing different consultancy assignments and working areas in close coordination with the team and the superior
- contributing to communication, monitoring and evaluation, and knowledge management measures
The Advisor performs the following tasks:
1. Professional advisory services
- assists and monitors the development and implementation of plans and activities in close consultation with counterparts
- conducts needs assessments of the partners’ institutions at the national and local level
- contributes to preparing and implementing activities at the national and local level
- deals with the design, preparation and implementation of workshops, seminars, and other events
- drafts terms of reference for local and international consultancies and monitors consultants’ deliverables to ensure high quality delivery of agreed upon outputs
- utilises GIZ work methodology and instruments while ensuring knowledge transfer to partners
- follows up on regular reports from the field coordinators at the local level
- ensures that administrative and financial rules and regulations are applied in every activity and consultancy contract under his/her responsibility
- moderates workshops and meetings with the counterparts and other stakeholders
- explores new approaches to developing youth capacities (i.e., sports for development, creative youth development) and integrates the approaches into the work processes
- stays up to date on the latest digital innovations in the areas of youth participation and inclusion of people with disabilities
2. Networking and communication
- supports cooperation, regular contact, and dialogue with partners, cooperates with different ministries and non-governmental organisations to maintain good working relationships
- maintains links with the beneficiaries at the local level and feeds their perspectives into the project design and implementation
- contributes to the planning, coordinating, and managing visibility and communication activities
- participates in the development and implementation of awareness raising activities and campaigns (online and offline) on different themes, at the national and local level
3. Monitoring and knowledge management
- monitors and documents the development and implementation of project plans and activities in close consultation with counterparts and beneficiaries
- updates the monitoring system regularly by collecting the required data and information
- develops and organises quality assurance measures and suggests necessary changes
- contributes to the collection and consolidation of lessons learned and best practices
- formulates appropriate input for annual project reports
4. Other duties
- performs other duties and tasks at the request of management.
C. Required qualifications, competences and experience
- Postgraduate (M.A. or equivalent) degree in Political Science, Economics, Law, Development Studies, Public Administration, Public Policy, Gender Studies, or a related field.
- Minimum 4 years of professional experience in development cooperation or non-governmental institutions
- Experience in working with young people, preferably on the local level
- Experience in working on inclusion of people with disabilities and/or gender equality
Other knowledge, additional competences
- Ability to understand the needs, conditions and challenges of young people with disabilities and women in Egypt.
- Excellent communication skills and the ability to deal with various partners involving both governmental and non-governmental organisations.
- Excellent verbal and written command of Arabic and English is a must; knowledge of German is an asset.
- Good working knowledge of information technologies and computer applications, especially Microsoft Office (Word, Excel, PowerPoint and Outlook).
- Strong sense for cooperation and team spirit, flexibility, networking skills, as well as a high degree of self-organisation.
- Willingness to upskill as required by the tasks to be performed – corresponding measures are agreed with management.
D. Submission of Application
- Interested candidates shall submit their application in English by e-mail to HR-Egypt@giz.de by maximum Tuesday, the 5th of April 2022.
- The application is to include a cover letter and an updated CV, indicating earliest date of availability and contact details (at least mobile/phone no. and e-mail address).
- Only applications mentioning the position title (Advisor – EOSD – your name) in the subject field of the e-mail will be considered.
- The position can be filled by the 8th of May 2022.
- The main work location will be the EOSD Office in El-Zamalek, Cairo.
- Occasional trips within Egypt or outside Egypt for about 10% of the working time might be required.
- The position is for candidates with Egyptian Nationality, or a valid work permit only.
- GIZ Egypt does not cooperate with any HR service providers that can guarantee acceptance to vacancies. A competitive process is followed, where all applications are reviewed to ensure that all qualified applicants receive consideration for employment. Candidates are only contacted if they have been shortlisted.
- All applications will be reviewed, and only shortlisted candidates will be contacted.
- If you do not receive the automated email confirmation acknowledging receipt of your application, please check your spam or junk folder.
- GIZ Egypt is committed to achieving workforce diversity. Female candidates and persons with disabilities are strongly encouraged to apply.