The ,,Deutsche Gesellschaft für Internationale Zusammenarbeit (GIZ) GmbH“
German Development Cooperation
“GIZ Office Cairo”
Project No. 95.9072.0-001.00
Job Vacancy Announcement for the position of Portfolio Professional
Starting date: 1st of November 2019
Duration of Contract: 12 months, subject to renewal based on performance
The Deutsche Gesellschaft für Internationale Zusammenarbeit (GIZ) GmbH is a global service provider in the field of international cooperation for sustainable development and international education work, with 20,726 employees. GIZ has over 50 years of experience in a wide variety of areas, including economic development and employment, energy and the environment, and peace and security.
Our business volume is around 3 billion euros. As a public-benefit federal enterprise, GIZ supports the German Government – in particular the Federal Ministry for Economic Cooperation and Development (BMZ) – and many public and private sector clients in around 120 countries in achieving their objectives in international cooperation. With this aim, GIZ works together with its partners to develop effective solutions that offer people better prospects and sustainably improve their living conditions.
About GIZ Egypt
Operating in Egypt since 1956, GIZ provides technical expertise, develops capacities and delivers effective solutions in close partnership with local governmental and non-governmental organisations.
GIZ Egypt currently employs around 310 national and 47 international experts. GIZ supports Egypt in its efforts to achieve the “Sustainable Development Strategy: Egypt Vision 2030” in order to create better social and economic prospects for the Egyptian people. On behalf of the German Government, the European Union and other parties, GIZ implements projects in all parts of Egypt in the areas of Renewable Energy and Energy Efficiency; Water Supply and Sanitation, Irrigation and Waste Management; Sustainable Economic Development for Employment; Governance and Urban Development.
For more information, please visit http://www.giz.de/egypt.
Salary band 4 -
Head of Portfolio Management
Junior Advisor Portfolio Management
The Portfolio Professional is responsible for
- providing assistance to the Head of Portfolio Management and the Country Director in managing and developing the portfolio of GIZ Egypt,
- supporting the Heads of Programme/Project and their team members regarding GIZ core processes (e.g. commission management, co-financing) and support processes (e.g. knowledge management, monitoring and evaluation, reporting) in accordance with GIZ rules and regulations,
- preparation and coordination of GIZ’s annual planning process, as well as other GIZ-wide events,
- assuming conceptual and coordination tasks, as well as operational and administrative tasks on behalf of and in coordination with the Head of Portfolio Management and the Country Director.
The Portfolio Professional performs the following tasks:
1. Portfolio Management
The Portfolio Professional
- updates the relevant portfolio documents, status of governmental agreements and overview of appraisal missions on a regular basis, as well as drafts, updates and adapts presentations of current portfolio activities to different target groups,
- advises project colleagues on the Project Implementation Contracts (PIC) process, leads the revision of the PIC in cooperation with the Head of Portfolio Management, and follows up with the Ministry of Investment and International Cooperation (MIIC),
- prepares for meetings with the German Embassy, MIIC, GIZ HQ (e.g. regional department North Africa) and the Federal Ministry of Economic Cooperation and Development (BMZ), as well as government negotiations and consultations,
- liaises with MIIC regarding the exchange of portfolio information (e.g. PIC, upcoming missions),
- represents the Portfolio Management in meetings with cooperation partners (e.g. German Embassy, MIIC, BMZ),
- advises and accompanies Heads of Programme/Project throughout the new commissions process,
- drafts answers on requests with regards to the portfolio from e.g. the German Embassy or the BMZ.
2. Coordination of Instruments for Development Cooperation
The Portfolio Professional
- regularly updates the information about instruments for development cooperation (e.g. Human Capacity Development measures, assignments of Development Advisors and Integrated Experts),
- conducts monthly meetings with Development Advisors (DA), oversees their contractual procedures and provides information about future assignments,
- prepares and follows up on the deployment of Integrated Experts (IE) placed in Egypt (e.g. contract extension, request for certificate),
- informs implementing and cooperation partners about the requirements of DA and IE assignments and facilitates the exchange between projects sharing their experiences,
- answers questions related to the instruments for development cooperation and develops communication material.
3. Annual Planning, Mid-Term, Ad-Hoc and End-of-Year Events
The Portfolio Professional
- prepares and co-leads the annual planning process (e.g. setting the goals, documentation, final review, identification of carry overs),
- collects topics throughout the year, makes suggestions for the design of events and develops agendas and concepts for inspiring exchanges,
- identifies suitable venues for events and workshops in collaboration with the responsible Travel and Event Professional at GIZ Office,
- coordinates contributions of GIZ colleagues and working groups,
- manages the overall coordination on the day of event or workshop and documents the results.
4. Other Duties and Additional Tasks
The Portfolio Professional
- prepares agendas for meetings, organises them logistically and prepares high quality minutes,
- coordinates appointments for business trips of BMZ representatives and GIZ HQ colleagues to Egypt with the German Embassy, Egyptian counterparts and GIZ projects,
- translates short documents as required in the area of responsibility,
- manages the analysis, implementation, and evaluation of the Corporate Sustainability Handprint (CSH) for GIZ Egypt,
- contributes to preparation of the GIZ Egypt induction event (e.g. presentation on GIZ Egypt portfolio),
- participates in trainings to upskill as per requirements of the position,
- performs other duties and tasks at the request of management.
C. Required Qualifications, Competences and Experience
- Master’s degree in public administration, economics, politics, sociology or similar area.
- At least 5 years’ professional experience in public sector, private companies, NGOs or international organisations, preferable with experiences in international development cooperation.
Other knowledge, additional competences
- Familiarity with concepts, methods and instruments of (German) development cooperation.
- A high level of self-motivation and self-organisation.
- Excellent coordination skills; ability to handle different tasks in parallel; proven ability to drive change processes.
- Fast comprehension of new topics; excellent analytical/conceptual, advisory and problem-solving skills.
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills; ability to structure complex information and communicate it to different target groups; a high level of attention to detail.
- Proven ability to build trustful working relationships, mediate divergent interests among multiple stakeholders and provide solutions.
- Competency to act as an effective team player, reliability and flexibility; experience of working in a multi-cultural team.
- Fluent verbal and written command of Arabic and English; working proficiency in German.
- Very good working knowledge of ICT technologies (relevant software, emails, internet) and computer applications especially MS Office 365.
- Willingness to upskill as required by the tasks to be performed.
D. Submission of Application
- Kindly send your applications in English by e-mail to HR-Egypt@giz.de by maximum Sunday, 22nd of September 2019.
- The application must include a motivation letter and an updated CV in English language, indicating the earliest date of availability and contact details (mobile/phone no. and e-mail address).
- Only applications mentioning the subject title “Portfolio Professional - GIZ Office - your name” will be considered.
- The position can be filled by 1st of November 2019.
- The contract is for 12 months, but extendable, based on a successful employment period.
- The work location will be at the GIZ Office Cairo in El-Zamalek, Cairo.
- The position is for candidates with Egyptian Nationality or a valid residence permit only.