The “Deutsche Gesellschaft für Internationale Zusammenarbeit (GIZ) GmbH“
(German Development Cooperation)
“Employment Promotion Project” (EPP III)
Project No. 18.2154.5-001.00
Job Vacancy Announcement for the position of “Advisor – Placement and Employment Services”
Starting date: 15th of October 2020, or as soon as possible
Duration of contract: 12 months, subject to renewal based on performance
About the GIZ
The Deutsche Gesellschaft für Internationale Zusammenarbeit (GIZ) GmbH is a global service provider in the field of international cooperation for sustainable development and international education work, with 20,726 employees. GIZ has over 50 years of experience in a wide variety of areas, including economic development and employment, energy and the environment, and peace and security.
Our business volume is around 3 billion euros. As a public-benefit federal enterprise, GIZ supports the German Government – in particular the Federal Ministry for Economic Cooperation and Development (BMZ) – and many public and private sector clients in around 120 countries in achieving their objectives in international cooperation. With this aim, GIZ works together with its partners to develop effective solutions that offer people better prospects and sustainably improve their living conditions.
About GIZ Egypt
Operating in Egypt since 1956, GIZ provides technical expertise, develops capacities and delivers effective solutions in close partnership with local governmental and non-governmental organisations.
GIZ Egypt currently employs around 310 national and 47 international experts. GIZ supports Egypt in its efforts to achieve the “Sustainable Development Strategy: Egypt Vision 2030” in order to create better social and economic prospects for the Egyptian people. On behalf of the German Government, the European Union and other parties, GIZ implements projects in all parts of Egypt in the areas of Renewable Energy and Energy Efficiency; Water Supply and Sanitation, Irrigation and Waste Management; Sustainable Economic Development for Employment; Governance and Urban Development.
For more information, please visit http://www.giz.de/egypt.
About the "Employment Promotion Project" (EPP III)
The Employment Promotion Project (EPP3) works jointly with the Egyptian Ministry of Education and Technical Education (MoETE) to improve technical education and the transition from school to the labor market in Egypt. Commissioned by the German Federal Ministry for Economic Cooperation and Development (BMZ) and implemented by the Deutsche Gesellschaft für Internationale Zusammenarbeit (GIZ) GmbH, EPP3 (2020-2023) contributes to achieving the goals of the ongoing Technical Education 2.0 reform of the MoETE and Egypt’s Vision 2030 at large.
The project follows a two-folded interlinked approach: It further improves Egyptian technical education with a focus on dual education. It supports the enhancement of quality as well as the accreditation system for technical education institutions and programs while at the same time developing processes that enable the development of demand-oriented and updated curricula for the dual system. It enhances the sustainable capacity development of technical education personnel, and ensures the systemic and systematic integration of the private sector in technical education, which includes but is not limited to the establishment of centers of competence.
At the same time, EPP3 facilitates the transition from school to work and supports young Egyptians find employment. It strengthens the evidence basis for decision-making processes within the MoETE and the information available to technical education students and graduates as well as preparatory school students about the labor market and their career options. Through a number of interventions such as career advisory services, exposure to the world of work and placement services, it improves the employability of technical education students and graduates and supports them find employment. To address the future needs of the labor market, it engages in the field of the future of work by enhancing multi-stakeholder dialogues, including the private sector.
The vacancy announced with this post is for the “Transition to Employment”, with a special focus on placement and employment services. The hired staff will be based in Cairo and working mainly to provide technical assistance and coaching for project partners in the existing employment centers, which aims to provide job orientation and match TVET graduates to decent jobs available in the private sector. The hired staff will also lead the expansion of existing services in new governorates, including the development of new services to better support TVET graduates to join the labour market. 50% to 60% of the expected level of effort includes regular weekly field visits to assigned governorates.
Salary band 4 –
Advisor for Placement and Employment Services
Head of Transition to Employment
The Advisor is responsible for:
- managing an area of responsibility regarding transition to employment services, mainly placement and employment services, that forms part of the project objectives, team agreements and/or agreements with the superior
- providing professional advisory services in the fields of transition to work, job matching, placement and employment services
- cooperating with a broad range of target groups at the national and regional level including the Ministry of Education & Technical education (teachers and students), technical school students/graduates, civil society and the private sector
- supporting in the identification, development and implementation of new measures, programmes/ partnerships, aiming at enhancing the employability and employment rates of TVET students/ graduates
- coordinating monitoring activities and results related to placement services including overseeing the online database for placement.
The Advisor performs the following tasks:
1. Professional advisory services
- closely supervises and monitors the development and implementation of work plans and activities in EPP supported employment centers according to the project‘s quality standards and in close consultation with project partners
- provides regular technical assistance and coaching to project partners at the national and regional level
- leads the development and delivery of capacity development measures to assigned facilitators/multipliers and the Transition to Employment Unit in the Ministry of Education and Technical Education
- leads the assessment and selection of new services and target governorates to replicate the existing placement and employment centers.
- supports and monitors the development, testing and implementation of an online database for placement services including monitoring the proper use and update of the database by the employment centers
- works closely with the machine learning and ICT advisor on introducing/developing digital solutions for placement and employment services that serve the target group (teachers and graduates)
- reports work progress including challenges faced in the field, lessons learnt and propose needed action steps and recommendations to the head of component on regular basis
- coordinates with responsible advisor(s) of other relevant services for the implementation of joint activities
- maintains regular and consistent communication with partners and direct beneficiaries and propose technical adjustments or changes when needed
- moderates and facilitates external meetings
- coordinates the design, preparation and implementation of workshops, seminars and other events on issues connected with transition to employment services
- develops and organizes quality assurance measures and suggests necessary changes, improvements and initiatives
- monitors the budget and expenses related to all placement activities.
- supports the component’s monitoring system and regularly updates information on progress
2. Networking and cooperation
- cooperates with a broad range of actors and establishes and maintains regular contact and dialogue with partners and intermediaries at the national and regional level
- assists with PR work and cooperates with local communities, private sector, relevant organizations, non-governmental organizations and individuals in the project environment and with other projects to improve and maintain good working relationships
- identifies, builds and expands networks with the private sector to support project activities
- organizes, develops and updates component documentation and information materials for target group.
3. Research and knowledge management
- carries out research and analysis required for planning and implementing relevant activities
- maintains and updates a regular database of project beneficiaries
- draws up reports and presentations and prepares appropriate input for various project reports including annual reports, and contributes to the other reports required by the programme manager and GIZ Head Office
- develops ready-to-use strategies and technical concepts, including guidelines, manuals and procedures, as deemed needed
- ensures knowledge management, including collecting, processing, organizing, storing and distributing relevant information, monitoring communication, and keeping records of meetings and follow ups.
- supports the development of knowledge management products such as success stories and lessons learnt.
4. Coordination tasks
- assists with general project planning and develops project concepts including preparation, organisation, implementation, management, monitoring, quality management, evaluation, communication and documentation
- conducts regular field visits to assigned regional governorates (including overnight stay)
- identifies relevant national consultants, drafts TORs and leads the steering of assigned consultants and short term experts
- coordinates relevant project activities at local level in consultation with the manager and in cooperation with the partners, both as regards implementation and preparing organizational aspects
5. Other duties/additional tasks
- performs other duties and tasks at the request of the management
C. Required qualifications, competences and experience
- University degree in the area of education, international development, social science, economics or a related field.
- Masters/MSc in a related field is an asset
- Further qualification in employment services and youth employment promotion is an asset
- At least 5 years of professional experience in employment promotion, placement and employment services and/or youth employability programs preferably for blue collars.
- At least three years of professional experience in cooperating with public entities on national or regional level and private sector companies, particularly in the employment promotion and TVET fields.
- Excellent technical skills in writing both English and Arabic.
- Previous experience working in an international organization is an asset.
Other knowledge, additional competences
- Excellent knowledge about the Egyptian labour market, TVET and the employment context
- Excellent knowledge of ICT technologies and computer applications (e.g. MS Office, Excel)
- Fluent in written and oral English and Arabic languages.
- Capacity to work well in a multicultural context and as a team player.
- Ability to travel, work under pressure and multi-task.
- Approximately 50%-60% of the working time will be in the field.
- Willingness to upskill as required by the tasks to be performed
D. Submission of Application
- Kindly send your applications in English by e-mail to HR-Egypt@giz.de by maximum Tuesday, the 8th of September 2020.
- The application should include an updated CV in English language and a motivation letter.
- Only applications mentioning the subject title “Advisor for Placement and Employment Services – EPP III - your name” will be considered.
- The position can be filled by the 15th of October or as soon as possible.
- The contract is for 12 months, but extendable, based on a successful employment period.
- The work location will be at the EPP office in Downtown, Cairo with frequent meetings in other locations and regular field trips to assigned governorates. Up to 60% of working time may require travelling within Greater Cairo or to other governorates.
- The position is for candidates with Egyptian Nationality and holders of Egyptian work permits only.