The ,,Deutsche Gesellschaft für Internationale Zusammenarbeit (GIZ) GmbH“
German Development Cooperation
“Water Management Reform Programme” (WMRP)
Project No. 14.2185.8-003.00
“Water and Wastewater Management Programme” (WWMP)
Project No. 14.2186.6-001.00
Job Vacancy Announcement for the position of Advisor “for Communication and Public Awareness”
Starting date: 13th of January 2019, or earlier if possible
Duration of Contract: 5.5 months
The wide range of services offered by the Deutsche Gesellschaft für Internationale Zusammenarbeit (GIZ) GmbH are based on a wealth of regional and technical expertise and on tried and tested management know-how. We are a German federal enterprise and offer workable, sustainable and effective solutions in political, economic and social change processes.
Most of our work is commissioned by the German Federal Ministry for Economic Cooperation and Development (BMZ). However, GIZ also operates on behalf of other German ministries and public and private bodies in Germany and abroad. These include governments of other countries, the European Commission, the United Nations and the World Bank. We are equally committed to helping our clients in the private sector attain their goals.
The registered offices of GIZ are in Bonn and Eschborn. In 2017, we generated a business volume of around 2.6 billion euros. Our 19,506 employees, almost 70 per cent of whom are national personnel, work in around 120 countries. As a recognised development service provider, we currently have 590 development workers in action in partner countries. Furthermore, in 2017, the Centre for International Migration and Development (CIM), which is run jointly by GIZ and the Federal Employment Agency, placed 385 integrated experts and 484 returning experts with local employers in our partner countries, or provided them with financial support, advice or other services.
About GIZ Egypt
Since 1956, GIZ has been present in Egypt implementing projects on behalf of the German government. We thus contribute to the economic and social stabilisation of the country. GIZ Egypt currently employs around 200 national and 50 international experts.
Our projects in cooperation with the Egyptian government focus on the areas of renewable energies and energy efficiency, sustainable economic development for employment, water supply and sanitation, irrigation and waste management, youth, women and families and urban development.
The GIZ Office Cairo supports the implementation of projects by providing logistic, financial, procurement and personnel services.
About the “Water Management Reform Programme” and the “Water and Wastewater Management Programme”
Introduction to the “Water Management Reform Programme”
A rising population and limited renewable water resources place Egypt well below the water scarcity threshold with an annual per capita water share of 650 m3. Given the escalating demand from various sectors, there is an increased pressure for an efficient water use in agriculture, which accounts for more than 80% of Egypt’s annual water use. The Water Management Reform Programme (WMRP) addresses this issue by providing support for the Ministry of Agriculture and Land Reclamation (MALR) as well as farmers and farmer organisations in adopting IWRM processes in their area of responsibility, with a regional focus on the Nile Delta governorates of Kafr el Sheikh and Beheira.
WMRP aims at up-scaling innovative IWRM procedures with an emphasis on on-farm water management and strengthening of the relevant capacities of famers as well as of institutional structures. In this context, WMRP / WWMP is providing technical advisory services for a number of intervention areas: Organisational and Human Capacity Development for relevant units in MALR / Strengthening of farmers and farmer organisations as decision makers for an efficient and effective water use in irrigated agriculture at farm level / Empowerment of women to reach their potential role in irrigated agriculture / Application of non-traditional, demand-oriented agricultural extension methods for more water efficient agricultural practices / Improvement of Operation & Maintenance (O&M) of private irrigation infrastructure at on-farm level in selected districts / Up-scaling of pilots targeting the re-use of agricultural organic residues at local level / Improvement of the data base for water demand planning / Establishment of a Complaint Management System for MALR with the objective of future up-scaling.
Introduction to the “Water and Wastewater Management Programme”
The Water and Wastewater Management Programme (WWMP) was established in 2007. The political partner of WWMP is the Ministry of Housing, Utilities and Urban Communities (MoHUUC) and the main implementing partners are the Holding Company for Water and Wastewater (HCWW), its Affiliated Companies as well as the Egyptian Water and Wastewater Regulatory Agency (EWRA). Most WWMP capacity development activities focus on the Affiliated Companies of HCWW.
The overall objective of WWMP is to improve the “Framework Conditions for Efficient and Sustainable Drinking Water and Sanitation Services”. The indicators are
- Selected Affiliated Companies (ACs) have prioritised their investment projects based on national water and wastewater decision support systems.
- EWRA has issued temporary licenses to ACs in line with legal requirements
- Selected ACs have achieved 80% of the performance targets for revenue collection from key account holders.
- Project proposals have been submitted to funding agencies that target the improvement of water and wastewater services in informal urban or un-served rural areas.
- Selected ACs implement action plans enhancing gender-sensitive staff recruitment and career development.
The agreed WWMP work packages include support to (i) investment planning; (ii) the establishment of regulatory instruments; (iii) the improvement of operations in water and wastewater treatment plants including activities in energy saving, commercial performance and reducing non-revenue water, and (iv) the improvement of framework conditions for water and sanitation services in informal urban and unserved rural areas.
The WWMP has a high reputation across all actors in the Egyptian water and wastewater sector and with other development partners. The WWMP professional team is highly qualified and most staff has worked on the programme since its inception.
Salary band 4 –
Advisor (for Communication and Public Awareness)
The Advisor for Communication and Public Awareness has the following overall responsibilities in the context of the WMRP / WWMP operational activities related to public awareness, community engagement as well as, internal and external communication of the overall Programme:
- plans, manages and coordinates the development and/or implementation of innovative awareness and education campaigns including related materials and campaign guidelines for behaviour chance.
- knowledge Management and documentation of different processes, successes stories and learning experiences collected from the thematic focal points of the project
- provides technical advice for counterparts on strategic communications planning, PR measures and the development of target group-oriented communication channels and awareness materials with a focus on IWRM processes in irrigated agriculture.
- markets the programme GIZ internally (eService Portal Egypt ESP EG, Intranet and other internal media) and externally (e.g. internet, within the local community, the donor community and on expert platforms etc.)
The Advisor for Communication and Public Awareness performs the following tasks:
1. Public Awareness
- researches and analyses a wide range of specialized material on campaign issues
- recommends new methods and media
- develops guideline for organization and conduction of awareness campaigns.
- prepares contracts for and supervises relevant short-term consultancies (e.g. film production, graphic designers, printers and other media experts)
- advises and works directly with thematic experts and consultants (national/international) to create materials and publications in accordance with GIZ rules (communication handbook, GIZ Egypt guidelines etc.)
- advises the team on the execution of campaigns in alignment with the objectives
- develops a method and initiates monitoring and evaluation of the effectiveness of campaigns, measures and provides recommendations to optimize the output
- provides technical support for counterparts and the thematic focal points of the team on communications planning and implementation materials development
- attends and organizes awareness raising events or side events
- documents different processes, success stories and learning experiences of WWMP / WMRP
- (further) develops and manages the publication of suitable communication tools for PR (e.g. project brochures, fact sheets, general project PowerPoint presentation) according to GIZ rules (corporate design, standards for content)
- prepares, coordinates and monitors the dissemination of project documentations and publications to project partners and/or national/international institutions working in the field of “water management in agriculture” (in line with GIZ publication & visibility rules)
- supervises the organization and implementation of conferences or workshops, supports foreign delegations, international experts and VIP visits
- coordinates and advises on the presentation of the programme
3. Knowledge Management
- documents different processes, success stories and learning experiences of the Water Management Reform Programme
- develops ready-to-use strategies and technical concepts, including guidelines, manuals and procedures
- draws up reports and presentation documents
- prepares appropriate input for various project reports including annual reports, and contributes to the other reports required by the project manager and GIZ Head Office
- assists with research activities and studies on issues within the scope of WMRP / WWMP
4. Other duties/additional tasks
- performs other relevant duties and tasks as assigned by the management
- manages the giveaways selection and distribution process
- interprets for non-Arabic speaking AV/ team members
C. Required qualifications, competences and experience
- University degree, preferably Masters/MSc/MA in a relevant field (agriculture, water resources management, environmental management, journalism, mass communications or similar)
- At least 3 years’ professional experience in a comparable position
Other knowledge, additional competences
- Flexible and innovative thinker, analytical problem-solving skills
- Ability to organize, multi-task, work independently on several projects and meet deadlines
- Ability to read, interpret and apply policies and procedures
- Good working knowledge of modern information and communications technology (ICT)
- Excellent written and verbal language skills in Arabic and English (German is an asset)
- Eager to learn new technologies, willingness to upskill as required by the tasks to be performed – corresponding measures are agreed with management
- Knowledge of IWRM / water supply and sanitation
- Knowledge of campaign techniques, strategies and practices.
- Knowledge of the media including responsibilities, equipment, techniques, policies, practices, scope, audience, tactics, structure and impact.
- Knowledge of the project target groups: urban and rural / agricultural water users
- Knowledge of the responsible governmental and civic society entities in Egypt’s water supply and sanitation as well as irrigated agriculture sector, e.g. Ministry of Agriculture and Land Reclamation, Ministry of Water Resources and Irrigation, Farmer Organizations and NGOs
- Knowledge of GIZ international and national communication tools.
D. Submission of Application
- Interested candidates shall submit their application in English by e-mail to HR-Egypt@giz.deby maximum Sunday, the 13th of January 2019.
- The application is to include a cover letter, an updated CV, and contact details (at least mobile/phone no. and e-mail address).
- Only applications mentioning the position title “Advisor - WWMP/WMRP - your name” in the subject field of the e-mail, will be considered.
- The position can be filled by the 3rd of February 2019.
- The main working location is in El-Zamalek, Cairo.
- The position is for candidates with Egyptian Nationality and holders of Egyptian work permits only.