The ,,Deutsche Gesellschaft für Internationale Zusammenarbeit (GIZ) GmbH“
German Development Cooperation
Special Initiative for Training and Job Creation (SI Jobs) - Job Partnerships and SME Promotion Project (JP-SME)
Project No. 19.4935.3-001.00
Job Vacancy Announcement for the position of Industrial Zones Advisor
Starting date: 3rd of July 2022 or as soon as possible.
Duration of Contract: 12 months, subject to renewal based on performance
The Deutsche Gesellschaft für Internationale Zusammenarbeit (GIZ) GmbH is a global service provider in the field of international cooperation for sustainable development and international education work, with 22,199 employees, almost 70 per cent of whom are national staff. GIZ has over 50 years of experience in a wide variety of areas, including economic development and employment, energy and the environment, and peace and security.
Our business volume is around 3.1 billion euros. As a public-benefit federal enterprise, GIZ supports the German Government – in particular the Federal Ministry for Economic Cooperation and Development (BMZ) – and many public and private sector clients in around 120 countries in achieving their objectives in international cooperation. With this aim, GIZ works together with its partners to develop effective solutions that offer people better prospects and sustainably improve their living conditions.
About GIZ Egypt
Operating in Egypt since 1956, GIZ provides technical expertise, develops capacities and delivers effective solutions in close partnership with local governmental and non-governmental organisations.
GIZ Egypt currently employs around 320 national and 35 international experts. GIZ supports Egypt in its efforts to achieve the “Sustainable Development Strategy: Egypt Vision 2030” in order to create better social and economic prospects for the Egyptian people. On behalf of the German Government, the European Union and other parties, GIZ implements projects in all parts of Egypt in the areas of Renewable Energy and Energy Efficiency; Water Supply and Sanitation, Irrigation and Waste Management; Sustainable Economic Development for Employment; Governance and Urban Development.
For more information, please visit http://www.giz.de/egypt
About the Cluster “Private Sector Development” (PSD)
The GIZ Egypt Cluster for Private Sector Development comprises several projects. Within GIZ the program currently includes the following five projects: Agricultural Innovation Project (AIP), Promotion of Small and Medium Enterprises (PSME), Promotion of Access to Financial Services for Small and Medium Enterprises (PAFSME), Job Partnership and SME Promotion (JP-SME) and Private Sector Innovation (PSI). Projects of the program mainly target the growth of the private sector und thus the promotion of job creation.
All projects are commissioned by the German Government and partially co-financed by the European Union. These projects are collaborating to create synergy effects.
About the project "Job Partnerships and SME Promotion Project” (JP-SME)/ part of the regional project Special Initiative for Training and Job Creation
The Special Initiative for Training and Job Creation (SI Jobs) of the Federal Ministry for Economic Cooperation and Development (BMZ) strengthens the employment-oriented growth of companies in Egypt. It is an integral part of the implementation of the Marshall Plan with Africa and the G20 pacts with Africa, as these aim to create more and better job and training opportunities through private investment and private sector engagement. The other countries of the SI are Ethiopia, Morocco, Tunisia, Ivory Coast, Ghana, Senegal, and Rwanda.
The project “Job partnerships and SME Promotion” implements the SI Jobs in Egypt and aims on one hand to strengthen the entrepreneurial ecosystem for selected growth-oriented sectors and industrial zones in Egypt. On the other hand, the initiation and implementation of labor and training cooperation with companies and the reduction of investment and trade barriers ("Business and Invest") are promoted. Thirdly, the strengthening of Egyptian small and medium-sized enterprises is also supported. The project is looking for an advisor to support the pillar on industrial zones in Egypt.
Industrial Zones Advisor
GIZ salary band:
Manager of Component
GIZ Internal function designation:
Economic Cooperation and Private Sector Development
The Industrial Zones Advisor is responsible for:
- developing activities to strengthen industrial zones in Egypt
- setting up partnerships with industrial zones as well as individual companies
- designing (including drafting of Terms of References) and implementing new intervention formats with partners
- contributing to the overall planning of the component’s activities, including the operational plan and M&E measures
- supporting the head of activity field in coordinating activities across other projects activity fields / components to ensure synergies across the projects’ activity fields
- contributing to the coordination of interventions with other fields of activities and other modules of the Programme “Private Sector Development” (PSD)
The Industrial Zones Advisor performs the following tasks:
1. Strengthening Industrial Zones with focus on sustainability, digitalization, and Industry 4.0 applications
The Industrial Zones Advisor
- provides research and expertise on industrial zones in Egypt including mapping relevant zones, identifying barriers and challenges for zone management and companies as well as employment potential in the zones
- identifies and implement measures to improve the business ecosystem in selected industrial zones across Egypt with general focus on sustainability and digitalization
- supports the ecosystem for creating and implementing Industry 4.0 technologies and their business models to the manufacturing sector
- establishes and maintains networks with zone management as well as company partners, relevant public institutions, or industry associations
- deals with the design, preparation and implementation of workshops, seminars and other events on issues connected to the project’s area of activity
2. Project management
The Industrial Zones Advisor
- coordinates, supervises, and contributes to the implementation of projects activities
- sets up and manages relevant sub-contracts based on GIZ rules and regulations
- monitors and evaluates the achievement of related program indicators in accordance with counterparts
- coordinates reporting on the progress of the projects
- ensures communication and public relations towards companies
- develops and organises quality assurance measures and suggests necessary changes, improvements, and initiatives
3. Knowledge Management
The Industrial Zones Advisor
- ensures knowledge transfer to project information
- develops ready-to-use strategies and technical concepts, including guidelines, manuals, and procedures
- draws up reports and presentation documents
- prepares appropriate input for various project reports including annual reports, and contributes to the other reports required by the head of Project
4. Other duties/additional tasks
The Industrial Zones Advisor
- deals with the design, preparation and implementation of related activities that are related to the project’s area of activity
- performs other duties and tasks at the request of the management
C. Required qualifications, competences, and experience
- University degree (preferably M.A./M.Sc. degree) in economics, business administration, IT, engineering, or a similar discipline.
- At least 5 - 7 years' professional experience in a similar position.
- Experience in cooperation with or working in the private sector.
- Experience with industrial zones in Egypt.
- Experience in working in the context of Industry 4.0.
- Experience in development cooperation organizations.
- Experience in project management.
Other knowledge, additional competences
- Excellent knowledge of ICT technologies (relevant software, emails, internet) and MS Office computer applications, especially MS Office. (Word, Excel, PowerPoints, and Outlook).
- Excellent knowledge in both written and spoken of English and Arabic languages.
- Excellent communication skills and the ability to deal with various partners involving government, private sector, and civil society organizations.
- A strong capacity for effective teamwork, high degree of flexibility, ability to work under pressure.
- Excellent advisory and problem-solving skills and innovative thinking.
- Excellent organizational and interpersonal skills.
- Willingness to travel of up to 20% of working time within most of Egyptian Upper Egypt and Delta Governorates.
- Details oriented.
- Excellent report writing skills.
- Willingness to up-skill as required by the tasks to be performed - – corresponding measures are agreed with management.
D. Submission of Application
- Kindly send your applications in English by e-mail to HR-Egypt@giz.de by maximum Friday, the 20th of May 2022.
- The application must include a motivation letter and an updated CV in English language, indicating the earliest date of availability and contact details (mobile/phone no. and e-mail address).
- Only e-mail applications mentioning the subject title “Industrial Zones Advisor – JP-SME - your name” will be considered.
- The position can be filled by the 3rd of July 2022 or as soon as possible.
- The contract is for 12 months, but extendable, based on a successful employment period.
- The work location will be at the JP-SME office in Zamalek.
- Travel in the country for an average of 20% of working time in different governorates.
- The position is for candidates with Egyptian Nationality, or a valid work permit only.
- GIZ Egypt does not cooperate with any HR service providers that can guarantee acceptance to vacancies.
- A competitive process is followed, where all applications will be reviewed, and only shortlisted candidates will be contacted.
- If you do not receive the automated email confirmation acknowledging receipt of your application, please check your spam or junk folder.
- GIZ Egypt is committed to achieving workforce diversity. Female candidates and persons with disabilities are strongly encouraged to apply.