Gesellschaft für Internationale Zusammenarbeit (GIZ) GmbH“
(German Development Cooperation)
Programme Migration for Development (PME)
Job Vacancy Announcement for Three (3) positions of “Advisor - for the Job and Migration Advisory Services"
Starting date: 15th of August, 2018
Duration of contract: 1 year, subject to renewal (based on performance)
About the GIZ
The wide range of services offered by the Deutsche Gesellschaft für Internationale Zusammenarbeit (GIZ) GmbH are based on a wealth of regional and technical expertise and on tried and tested management know-how. We are a German federal enterprise and offer workable, sustainable and effective solutions in political, economic and social change processes.
Most of our work is commissioned by the German Federal Ministry for Economic Cooperation and Development (BMZ). However, GIZ also operates on behalf of other German ministries and public and private bodies in Germany and abroad. These include governments of other countries, the European Commission, the United Nations and the World Bank. We are equally committed to helping our clients in the private sector attain their goals.
The registered offices of GIZ are in Bonn and Eschborn. In 2016, our business volume amounted to around 2.4 billion euros. Around 70 per cent of our local workforce of 18,260 people is national personnel working in over 120 countries. In our capacity as a recognised sending organisation, we currently have 640 development workers in action in partner countries. In addition, CIM, a joint operation of GIZ and the Federal Employment Agency, placed almost 850 integrated and returning experts with local employers abroad in 2016 while providing them with financial support and advisory services.
About GIZ Egypt
Since 1956, GIZ has been present in Egypt implementing projects on behalf of the German government. We thus contribute to the economic and social stabilisation of the country. GIZ Egypt currently employs around 200 national and 50 international experts.
Our projects in cooperation with the Egyptian government focus on the areas of renewable energies and energy efficiency, sustainable economic development for employment, water supply and sanitation, irrigation and waste management, youth, women and families and urban development.
The GIZ Office Cairo supports the implementation of projects by providing logistic, financial, procurement and personnel services.
To examine Egypt’s projects’ portfolio, please visit us on http://www.giz.de/egypt.
The Global Programme Migration for Development (PME) commissioned by the German Federal Ministry for Economic Cooperation and Development (BMZ) has the objective to empower migrants to make development-relevant contributions in their countries of origin and improve the framework conditions for legal migration in selected partner countries. It is run under the umbrella of the Center for International Migration and Development, which is jointly operated by the Deutsche Gesellschaft für Internationale Zusammenarbeit (GIZ) and the International Placement Services (ZAV) of the German Federal Employment Agency (BA).
The overarching objective of the programme is to strengthen the development-relevant contributions of migrants in their countries of origin and improve the framework conditions for regular migration in selected partner countries. This objective is actively being pursued within five fields of activity:
(1) Migration Policy Advice: the policy frameworks for regular migration and the developmental contributions of migration are being improved through structured policy advice in the area of voluntary and forced migration
(2) Migration and Reintegration Advice: access to information about regular ways of migration for potential migrants and about reintegration for returnees is being enhanced through migration advice
(3) Development-oriented Return of Migrants: Returning migrants are contributing to home country development through knowledge sharing
(4) Diaspora Cooperation: the developmental impact of the diaspora is being strengthened through diaspora cooperation
(5) Business Ideas for Development: migrants receive effective counselling and are being qualified to implement business ideas in their countries of origin.
In the context of the component “Migration and Reintegration Advice” PME is running the Job and Migration Advisory Services. The Advisory Services’ target group are potential migrants as well as returning migrants from Germany. The Advisory Services offer counselling on perspectives of educational and professional development in Egypt as well as information and advice on possibilities and requirements of legal labor migration. Next to the Advisory Services themselves, the PME is establishing an information and advice structure in Germany for migrants intending to return to their home country (Germany module).
This job vacancy aims for candidates interested in providing advisory services related to migration to the PME project of EPP based in Cairo (temporary office location is Zamalek) and regularly visiting areas with high migration pressure (about 30% of the working time).
Salary band 4 –
(3) Advisors - (for the Job and Migration Advisory Services)
The Advisor is responsible for
- giving advice to returnees and persons interested in migration on legal migration, reintegration, as well as opportunities in employment, TVET and entrepreneurship in Egypt
- contributing technically to the Advisory Services’ operations and implementation
- working in a team of job and migration advisors under the supervision of the Advisory Services’ national coordinator
The Advisor performs the following tasks:
1. Job and Migration Advice
- provides information, counselling and advice to the visitors of the information point (assistance, advice and guidance)
- researches, compiles and makes available relevant information, offers and actors in the area of social and professional reintegration
- exchanges with his/her counterparts in the Germany module in order to provide country-specific information to migrants intending to return from Germany
- develops ready-to-use strategies and technical concepts, including guidelines, manuals and procedures
- supports to Advisory Services’ planning and conceptual design, including preparation, organization and moderation of planning exercises and their implementation
2. Research and Analysis
- researches, reviews, prepares and forwards relevant reports and documents including detailed summaries, research notes and briefings
- prepares and presents policy recommendations based on the research and analyses
- conducts monitoring, quality management, communication and documentation of the proper implementation of the Advisory Services’ plans and activities in close consultation with partner institutions
- assists short-term experts assigned to the Advisory Services in completing their tasks, including translations
- prepares appropriate material for the Advisory Services’ outputs as required by management
3. Other duties/additional tasks
- networks and cooperates with partner institutions and other relevant stakeholders (including non-governmental agencies, research institutes, business and other projects and donors) to maintain good working relationships and to cooperate towards the project’s objectives
- performs other duties and tasks at the request of the national coordinator
C. Required qualifications, competences and experience:
- University degree in relevant specialisation and qualification in social sciences, law or another related field of study.
- A minimum of 3 years’ experience in one of the following fields: research, social advice and coaching, public policy or other related fields
Other knowledge, additional competences
- Professional experience on monitoring, report writing, survey/data analysis.
- Fluency in Arabic and English; German language is an asset.
- Excellent writing and editing skills.
- Excellent organizational and interpersonal skills.
- Strong knowledge of MS Office including the data analyses/processing packages.
- Familiarity with the administrative, political and migration policy environment in Egypt and in the region.
- An excellent knowledge of the cultural codes and norms towards migration in Egypt.
- Ability to build strong relationships with partners, officials and civil society.
- A strong capacity for effective teamwork, high degree of flexibility, ability to work under pressure of deadlines.
- Attention to detail.
- Willingness to travel in- and outside the country.
- Egyptian nationality or a valid work permit in Egypt.
D. Application procedure: