The ,,Deutsche Gesellschaft für Internationale Zusammenarbeit (GIZ) GmbH“
German Development Cooperation
Agriculture Innovation Project (AIP)
Project No. 16.2250.5-001.00
Job Vacancy Announcement for the position of Junior Communication and PR Specialist
Starting date: 2nd October 2022 or as soon as possible
Duration of Contract: 12 months, subject to renewal based on performance
The Deutsche Gesellschaft für Internationale Zusammenarbeit (GIZ) GmbH is a global service provider in the field of international cooperation for sustainable development and international education work, with 24,977 employees, almost 70 per cent of whom are national staff. GIZ has over 50 years of experience in a wide variety of areas, including economic development and employment, energy and the environment, and peace and security.
In 2021, GIZ’s business volume was around 3.7 billion euros. As a public-benefit federal enterprise, GIZ supports the German Government – in particular the Federal Ministry for Economic Cooperation and Development (BMZ) – and many public and private sector clients in around 120 countries in achieving their objectives in international cooperation. With this aim, GIZ works together with its partners to develop effective solutions that offer people better prospects and sustainably improve their living conditions.
About GIZ Egypt
Operating in Egypt since 1956, GIZ provides technical expertise, develops capacities and delivers effective solutions in close partnership with local governmental and non-governmental organisations.
GIZ Egypt currently employs around 355 national and 35 international experts. GIZ supports Egypt in its efforts to achieve the “Sustainable Development Strategy: Egypt Vision 2030” in order to create better social and economic prospects for the Egyptian people. On behalf of the German Government, the European Union and other parties, GIZ implements projects in all parts of Egypt in the areas of Renewable Energy and Energy Efficiency; Water Supply and Sanitation, Irrigation and Waste Management; Sustainable Economic Development for Employment; Governance and Urban Development.
For more information, please visit http://www.giz.de/egypt
About the “Agriculture Innovation Project”
The Agricultural Innovation Project aims to increase the income of small-scale agriculture in Upper Egypt through the usage of agricultural innovation.
The approach of value chain facilitation will be used, consequently applied from the market perspective. Farmers’ organisations will be supported by the project through technological innovation, consolidation of marketing abilities and the diversification of sales channels. Opportunities in both the growing domestic, as well as export markets will be explored, with a focus on high-value markets Value chains in the medical and aromatic plants (MAP) and horticulture sectors will be fostered.
The project will be implemented in three fields of activities: (i) Strengthen & diversify market access & market linkages for small holder farmers (ii) Strengthening institutional support and developing farmer organizations, and (iii) Igniting innovation for productivity and sustainability.
Junior Communication and PR Specialist
GIZ salary band:
Head of Project
GIZ Internal function designation:
Junior Communication Specialist
The Junior Communication and PR Specialist provides support in
- replying to all questions arising in the area of communication and advising project components on their communication work
- developing communication instruments, supporting events and social media posts
- communicating knowledge by disseminating and documenting know-how, experience and information
- coordinating with the digital advisor on digital interventions
The Junior Communication and PR Specialist performs the following tasks:
1. Internal and external communications
The Junior Communication and PR Specialist
- supports in passing on information and supports dialogue between the project team, and the various groups at the private sector development cluster (assigned, national and international staff)
- closely cooperates and coordinates with the colleague responsible for monitoring, evaluation and learning (MEL) to ensure the incorporation of short progress updates from the outputs into the newsletter
- assists in coordinating the communication activities of the project components
- orders and distributes PR materials about the project in coordination with project team
- helps in introducing innovation and change
- supports in organising events and supports tasks related to the event management
- assists with planning, coordinating and documenting meetings, workshops, seminars and other project’s activities
- supports in organising a series of webinars showcasing the project activities
- supports the digital advisor on digital competitions and digital literacy
- represents the project in relevant PR and communication working groups (internal and external)
- supports the overall procurement process for PR services in line with GIZ’s rules and regulations, including developing the TORs, evaluation processes and conclusion of contracts
- ensures that all colleagues have business cards following the GIZ template
- ensures the quality of received translations and assists in the translation
- supports cooperation, regular contact and dialogue with partners, coordinates PR and communication work and cooperates with local communities, relevant organisations, non-governmental agencies and individuals in the project environment and with other projects to improve and maintain good working relationships between all partners
- compiles the relevant information for joint activities and assignments
2. National communication and PR work
The Junior Communication and PR Specialist
- assists in developing appropriate internal and external information instruments (newsletters, flyers, promotion material, visualisations, videos etc.) based on the communication framework and inputs received by the components
- supports in conducting interviews with representatives from different stakeholders
C. Required qualifications, competences and experience
- University degree in mass communication or comparable training related to journalism, communication, marketing, or similar discipline
- 1-2 years of experience in PR and communication
- Initial experience in event management
- Must have extensive strong business networking with stakeholders working in the agricultural/agribusiness sectors.
- Experience working in capacity development of entrepreneurship knowledge and demonstrated understanding of digital and gender issues in agricultural value chains.
- Sound knowledge of Desktop Publishing (DTP) and graphics applications (e.g. Adobe Illustrator, Photoshop, InDesign)
- Experience in video editing and photography
- Proficiency in digital skills
Other knowledge, additional competences
- Ability to express oneself well both verbally and in writing in Arabic and English; polished, target- group-oriented style
- Ability to work under stress, self-initiating, flexible and able to work with people of different backgrounds
- Results-oriented, well organised, motivated and creative
- Very good working knowledge of ICT technologies (related software, phone, fax, email, the internet) and computer applications (e.g. MS Office)
- Willingness to upskill as required by the tasks to be performed – corresponding measures are agreed with management
- Exceptionally strong analytical and coordination skills, as evidenced by leading roles on successful initiatives engagements of significant scale and agricultural commodities marketing and entrepreneurship capacity development.
- Strong interpersonal and cross-cultural skills.
- Excellent oral and written presentation skills.
- Excellent written and oral command of English and Arabic, knowledge of German is an asset.
D. Submission of Application
- Kindly send your applications in English by e-mail to HR-Egypt@giz.de by maximum Tuesday the 6th of September 2022.
- The application must include a motivation letter and an updated CV in English language, indicating the earliest date of availability and contact details (mobile/phone no. and e-mail address).
- Only applications mentioning the subject title “Junior Communication & PR Specialist – AIP - your name” will be considered.
- The position can be filled by the 2nd of October 2022 or as soon as possible.
- The contract is for 12 months, but extendable, based on a successful employment period.
- The work location will be at the Project’s office in Zamalek, with frequent meetings in other locations and regular field trips to assigned governorates. Up to 30% of working time may require travelling within Greater Cairo or to other governorates (Minya and Beni Suef).
- The position is for candidates with Egyptian Nationality, or a valid work permit only.
- GIZ Egypt does not cooperate with any HR service providers that can guarantee acceptance to vacancies. A competitive process is followed, where all applications are reviewed to ensure that all qualified applicants receive consideration for employment. Candidates are only contacted if they have been shortlisted.
- If you do not receive the automated email confirmation acknowledging receipt of your application, please check your spam or junk folder.
- GIZ Egypt is committed to achieving workforce diversity. Female candidates and persons with disabilities are strongly encouraged to apply.